Do you remember the days of grocery shopping in college, or when you first lived on your own? I went into that big grocery store and had NO IDEA what I was doing. For years I wouldn’t go grocery shopping until everything was gone in my cupboards except half a bag of instant rice and a box of pudding, and nothing was left in the fridge besides pickles and mustard. My grocery-shopping trip always ended up costing way more than what I could afford as a college student who made $350 every two weeks. And I still only bought boxed or canned stuff—Mac ‘n’ Cheese, Top Ramen, Au Gratin potatoes, Spaghetti O’s, Chef Boyardee Ravioli. I even went through a phase of eating green beans out of a can for lunch at work. It wasn’t that I was trying to starve myself—it was just easy and inexpensive.
Since college and moving out on my own, I’ve actually experimented with recipes, bought some cookbooks and even ask for practical things for Christmas like a crockpot, knife set and spice rack. (These things make cooking soooo much easier!)
My mom would like to think that this new foray into the cooking world will improve my chances with finding a husband and getting married. She’s totally a “cook for your man, and he won’t ever leave!” type of woman. I think she used to believe that she failed as a mother cause I wasn’t interested in cooking or cleaning—ever. She probably thinks now that I’m learning to cook, she’ll have grandchildren on the way soon. She’s been bugging me to pop out a couple grandchildren for her since 2002.
I suppose being able to cook for my significant other can’t hurt…But I sure hate to think that domesticating myself a bit more is leading me on the path of getting knocked-up soon. Cause learning to cook for myself is fun, but I imagine cooking for a family every night is a whole nother ball game. I'll probably have to revert back to Spaghetti O’s and Chef Boyardee Ravioli. They say life always comes full circle, right? Enjoy that can of beans, kids!

Hey, look! It's a printable recipe card for you! Just click on it...and print!
Currently Feeling: Positive about this workout program during the week at work. It’s so much easier to go home and not have to worry about it…and it’s free!
Currently Anticipating: Getting my Adobe GoLive tutorial books in the mail so I can teach myself how to create a killer Web site for my resume and portfolio.
Currently Hating: No Sex. Weeks, days, hours and months with no sex. Boo. Hiss.









6 comments:
It's funny, I learned to cook in Home Ec in high school and started helping my mom cook dinners. In college I lived in a house with a couple in their late-'20s. Which was great, I'd score them weed and they'd score me booze, we also would cook meals together a couple days a week. The result was I never ate much out of cans or frozen food, I've always cooked and avoided a lot of processed foods. I've gone low-carb again since new years and have drastically expanded my recipes and cooking norms. Eating great and I've lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks, not bad.
10 POUNDS!!
why i aughta ....
i feel like i always eat low-carb. but then i screw things up and eat a pizza or mcdonalds during the weekend. eff me!
Did you see you got a shout out on the blog??
I told you, you'd love it.
PS. Ex-squeeze me? Baking powder? No sexy for months? How about over a year??
No. I read your post today. I thought the shout out was for Caitlin, not me. (Who BTW, is one of my best guy friend's girlfriends...so I have to defend his honor!!! LOL. J/K)
Do you even know whose blog you're reading? ;)
If you haven't had sex for a year...you need to change your blog to "365 of Celibacy and Counting." That is just depressing... get cho self out there immediately!
I linked you! I linked you!
That's what I meant by the shout out.
Hahahaah, I didn't know the connection, but that's still fine. The main focus of my post was about the mentality of being a single guy. It's a weird one and I'm not exactly proud of it. Guh.
Are you coming out on Saturday or what??
Oh.. ok. I found it now. I thought you were linking to a previous post or reader blog, so I didn't click on it. Thanks!!
So, here's what I've been wondering. You have A LOT of commenters. I am just one in about a consistent 30+. Do you read all the blogs of people that link to you? Cause you've very graciously been faithful recently to my two blogs. I appreciate it... I imagine your blogroll in Loooooonnnngg. Do you work during the day? ;)
Saturday is my two best friends from junior high/ high school's birthday! I'm already double booked and skipping going where my friend from LA is going. (He's in town too.) Since I'll be at Marcus' Martini Heaven in Pioneer Square, I don't think I'll make it out to Ballard. :(
Oh, and the way you feel is perfectly natural. I acted like that all the time when I wasn't dating Mike. EVERYONE was a potential love interest. I was like a walking hormone. So don't feel bad. ;)
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.