Thursday, February 21, 2008

Writing is a whole way of life

During my lunch hour today, I was enjoying my rather hearty salad and reading an article I found on The Seattle Times titled, "'Old Friend' offers help with writing a memoir." Since it is my dream to someday turn these 20-something ramblings—or perhaps what my life has to bring—into a memoir, I jumped at the chance to read advice on writing one. The author of the book, Natalie Goldberg, is a writer who considers herself an expert in the topic of memoirs. Her Q&A with The Times' reporter contained some great advice that I'll file away in the ole' memory bank. When I reached the end of the interview, Goldberg said this:
"I don't have to write, but I have to live as a writer. Receiving the world. Noticing some things. Having some time for dreaming. Caring about detail. Because writing isn't just writing. It's a whole way of life. It's a way of seeing and caring. A desire to have intimacy for your life and for the world."
That. That is me.

1 comments:

So@24 said...

I wonder about that too... turning your life into a memoir.

I always ask myself though; are these stories just entertaining to me and those who know me? Or would complete strangers find enjoyment??

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.