Last night I took a trip to the public pool. Or la piscine (piss-seen), as one would say in French, which I think is much more fitting than “swimming pool.” After all, a public pool is probably very a la piscine from all the kids. Cause really, as a kid, we all know we were warned and reprimanded 100x about peeing in the pool, but we did it anyway, holding our breath to see if the water really would change another color from the “special chemical.” And it didn’t. This therefore just warranted a cycle of peeing in the pool very discreetly instead of getting out of the water, freezing cold, for a trip to the bathroom. (I might or might not have just admitted that I used to pee in the pool).
This is what I think about now that I’m an adult and swim in common areas with children, such as lakes, docks and pools.
But, it still didn’t stop me from brushing those thoughts aside for a Monday-night trip to the pool and community center in my neighborhood. A little pee never hurt anyone! (Gross. I can’t believe I just typed that).
Baby Daddy and I threw the good ole suits on and paid our $4 fee, entering our respective locker rooms. I haven’t been to a community pool since I believe I was in 5th grade. As a child who took swim lessons and attended a number of pool dates with the neighbor kids, it was all very familiar to me – the lockers with keys that you pin to your suit, inevitably leaving a hole in your swimsuit; the cold cement floors with clumps of other people’s hair; the freezing cold shower you’re supposed to take before jumping in the pool; the sting as the smell of chlorine hits your nostrils; the scratchy pool lining that snags the bottom of your suit; the echo of little kids shouting and run-walking down the sides of the pool to the diving board; and the dum, dum thump of the diving board as one swimmer jumps off before the next one walks to the end.
I was hoping for a hot tub, but no such luck. There was a sauna that we spent 15 minutes in before I felt like my face was going to melt off while I simultaneously hyperventilated. (Am I the only one who things these are bearable, at best, and totally uncomfortable to sit in with other people?) So then we jumped into the pool for a bit, and I grabbed a noodle to float on. I figured I’d do a little kicking, doggy paddling and seeing how long I could stand on my hands under water, and count it as my work out for the day. Except just as we got in, a very official pool man started putting up signs that dictated speeds and others began rolling out the plastic floating lines. Dammit – lap swim.
Baby Daddy and I got out and sat on the bleachers and watched the swimmers crowd their chosen lanes.
Me: Well, crap. Do you want to do lap swim?
Him: I don’t care. Whatever you want; I’d be just okay with leaving.
Me: But, we’ve only been here for 20 minutes. I’d be a little embarrassed to walk out passed the lady we paid $4 to at the front desk. We could just get in a kick around a little bit.
Him: Yeah.
Me: I mean, look at that dude, he’s got a kickboard. We couldn’t look any stupider than that.
Him: I wouldn’t use a kickboard. No way. Look at that guy, he’d probably go somewhere a lot quicker if he weren’t slapping the water with every stroke.
Me: He’s old. Cut ‘em some slack. Besides, we don’t know that we’d look too much better. That’s the problem – I have no idea what I look like when I swim.
Him: Me either.
Me: Everyone’s got a cap on. I don’t want to wear a cap.
Him: And goggles.
Me: Crap. We’re total public-pool amateurs.
Him: Yeah. And now it’s probably too late to get in. We’ve sat here too long, staring at everyone.
Me: I can’t believe we just paid $4 to sit in a sauna for 15 minutes and watch people swim for 20.
Him: I'd be down if it weren't lap swim - there’s too much pressure to perform.
Me: Yeah, we’re pool shy.*
Ba boom, CCHHHINGG.**
*I was referring to definition #2.
** That's supposed to be my drum and symbol sound they always make after jokes.
Currently Feeling: In need of some serious workouts this week - the last three-week push until Mexico!
Currently Anticipating: Home sweet home. This daylight savings time transition is rough.
Currently Loving: Chocolate protein shakes with milk, NOT water.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









6 comments:
i HATE saunas, can't breath. i always have these weird visions of getting trapped in one too.
I love this post! It seriously reminded me of the community pool I went to as a kid: the sounds, the smells, the feel of the pool. Those were the days. I haven't been to a community pool since junior high. I think I'm going to go this summer just to live a little. ;)
I can't do saunas either... way too freakin hot and stuffy.
:)
@Keep Calm
Me too! I always stare at the door and think about how it could quite possibly get stuck and I'd melt to death. Lol.
@Dugout Daisy
Thanks! It was a pretty funny experience since I hadn't been in years either. I'll probably totally go back though - but I picked up a schedule for open swim, so we could avoid lap swim. Ha.
Dear Je-said,
As a lap-pool swimmer, I think you and your boyfriend need to put some of this in perspective. Did you take a look around? Were you the only two watching the swimmers? In my experience, there's no one watching people swim to be judgmental. The people are in the pool. You are a goofball. Oh, and this is Jesse.
P.S. If you swim without a cap it's best to have short hair. That chlorine will totally fuck it up otherwise. Oh, and it also stings your eyes. Best get some goggles, too.
@Jesse
Haha. I know. We are goofballs. I felt stupid that we cared so much about what other people think. You're right - we were the only ones looking at everyone. Except for the lifeguard. I might get brave and purchase goggles. But I seriously don't know if I can do a cap. Blech!
P.S. Thanks for signing your name with an anonymous sign-in. Anonymous comments are no bueno. Or beuno. I always get that one mixed up.
Considering all the swimsuit hoopla a few weeks back, I'm surprised you didn't identify which suit you wore.
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.