Thursday, March 26, 2009

If you talk books with me, I might love you forever

Every month or so, I seem to get a request from a friend for a book recommendation. I think they all know I’m an obsessive reader (perhaps the gigantic color-coordinated bookshelf was an indication). I always try to rattle a few off with very animated, circular arm motions of HOW.much.I.LOVE.this.book, or direct them to my Facebook weRead page. So, I decided I’d share some books on my blog and just direct people here, but after sitting down to write out an uber long list of reviews, I discovered I could link my entire weRead list now in my blog's sidebar. This is quite good news because I have approximately 100 books in there that I’ve rated, reviewed and kept updated, and I’m a big fan of “not reinventing the wheel.” So feel free to peruse via the “View All” button.

And – in perfect timing for book reading news. I just received an email from someone at Harper Collins via my old dating blog over at the Seattle Post Intelligencer. She wanted me to review a book, and offered five copies to give away on the blog. I told her that while I don’t write on the that blog anymore, I’d be happy to transfer over the review and giveaway to this blog – so VOILA! You have a book giveaway coming your way, blog friends. I think the book sounds super funny – it’s a memoir from a girl who wakes up at 26 and realizes after multiple sex partners that she has never had an orgasm…so goes on a no-holds-barred hunt. You know you want to read it! Stay tuned… and in the meantime, tell me:

What is the one book you’d recommend me to read?

Currently Feeling: A little sleepy and groggy from the wine jug the BF and I split last night. Whoopsie. We just got so into Paranormal State - my new FAV!
Currently Anticipating: $2 pizzas and $3 glasses of wine at Sazerac tonight for a double date with Bestie Amanda and her boy.
Currently Needing: A quiet weekend before the rush of next week's craziness before I leave - crazy business at work, a meet-up on Monday at Tini Bigs, a meet-up with the new roomie on Tuesday at Solo, a hair cut, pedicure, packing... AHHHCKKK.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Underworld," by Don DeLillo.

Jeanna said...

Oh Jesse - The Cold War and The World Series?! Could this be further from the "interests me" mark? However, just because I trust your book snobiness, this one time, I'll put it on my want to read list.

Write up your alley said...

"How To Draw Hell Beasts"

Anonymous said...

Well, then, how about "Homeland," by Sam Lipsyte? It's about a writer, in marketing, who's acknowledging that they are getting older as they prepare for their high school reunion. That seems right up your alley.

Jeanna said...

@Jesse
Okay. That sounds better.

@Write up your alley
"How to Draw Hell Beasts" and "dragon novels"?? Are you trying to tell me something? I had to Google that cause I thought it might have been a weirdly titled book. But then I realized, nope. It really is a book about how to draw hell beasts. Lol. You got me.

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i am the wrong person to be asking what to read. but, have you read anything by chelsea handler?

Katie said...

Time Off For Good Behavior - Lani Diane Rich

Good book (of course, why else would I recommend it?) - Chick has a lot of sarcasm, and she loves to drink. I'm hard to please in the book realm, and this did it for me.

If ya read it, let me know what ya think!

Jeanna said...

@alexa
NO - I haven't. But I've heard tons about her books. Isn't she the chick that writes about her one-night stands? Amazon.com just recommended it to me when I was buying a book yesterday, and I almost took the bait. Have you read it?

@Katie
I love sarcasm and drinking! Sounds right up my alley. ;)

lovingthe30's said...

"The Namesake" by Jhumpa Lahiri
I can't remember if I had told you about this one before but it is one of my all time favorites (along with "A Prayer for Owen Meany" but I'm pretty sure you already read that one) Definitely skip the movie, I didn't even bother. :)

Bri3636 said...

I have a bunch of the chelsea handler books you can borrow Jeanna - they are ok, sometimes funny but not great. My recommendations are old ( past years have been spent on school and gluten free living) but here are 3 that I love:
1) White Oleander
2) She's Come Undone
3) Poisonwood Bible

Right now I am reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - its pretty good so far, ill let you know how it turns out :) Happy Reading! - Bri

James said...

Late to the party, but I have a few recommendations.

1) His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.
2) A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.
3) War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells.
4) Stardust by Neil Gaiman.
5) Invitation to Oceanography by Jones and Bartlett.

...okay, that last one was a joke. xD.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.