Today I’m meeting my new roommate for the first time. Sound weird? Not as weird as it was to live with someone I found on Craigslist after the friend from college I was living with bought a condo with her boyfriend and had to move out. I could go on for days and months about how annoying this chick from Craigslist was. But I’ll save you the details.
I recently asked Craigslist Chick to move out, and then I went on a search for a new roommate, sending out feelers to friends, family, acquaintances, long lost pals, etc. All I wanted was some sort of referral from a mutual friend, so I could ensure the next person would have something in common with me. Yah know, all I’m asking is that you don’t blast the Christian music station while you clean; have a cat that scoots its butt across my white carpet, leaving streaks; don’t creep all my friends out; have 200+ houseplants; or leave The Cosby Kids, floating in the pool all the time, making me do your dirty work. Pun intended.
(Okay, maybe I shared just a few details.)
The point of this post before that last little tangent was to tell you that I’m meeting my new roommate tonight for drinks, who is actually BFFs with a girl I hung out with all the time when I was single. The potential new roommate and I exchanged a bunch of emails back and forth, friended each other on Facebook and have had many a discussion about what works and doesn’t work with a roommate. (MAN, have I learned my lesson about what you need to establish BEFORE you move in). There’s a whole separate topic.
Anyway, I think she sounds great and seems super fun, and I feel like we’d have a lot of fun together, in addition to being great roommates, so I want her to like me. So, I painstakingly went through my closet this morning to pick out just the right outfit – cute, trendy, sassy, hip and with it – something that says, “I’m fun! You want to live with me!” I made sure I accessorized, just enough, and I didn’t roll into work with three-day-old bed head. As I rode the bus to work this morning in my sassy black-and-white, leopard-print bubble dress, black leggings, and cute new BCBG patent-leather, open-toed wedges that I recently bought at Ross for $35 (!!!), I thought to myself, “This is far more work that I’ve put into myself in a long time – I don’t analyze my outfits this much for my boyfriend!”
Which got me thinking, us girls, we don’t really dress for the guys. No sirree. We dress for other girls more than we dress for guys. The belt around the waist trend? Guys think it’s dumb. I’ve heard more than one say so. Uggs with short skirts? Heard more than one guy scoff at how idiotic that trend was. But we all still belt, and some of us once Ugged. (Although, I was never one of the Uggers). I’ve also been asked on more than one occasion, “Why do you care about your shoes, guys don’t pay attention to them?” You’re right, they don’t. And when you wear cute shoes, it's never the guys that compliment you, it's the girl who exclaims, "Ooooh! Cuuuute shoes!" that makes you feel good.
I care about looking good mostly for myself because I love fashion, and also because we all care a little bit about what we look like when we step into a room full of girls. What’s the first thing you do when you walk into a party or a bar? You scan the competition.
So yeah, gentlemen, we’re not always doing everything to impress you. Some of it actually is for the benefit of our own gender, or yah know, ourselves.
Currently Feeling: Like I have a bit of a nervous belly.
Currently Anticipating: Going to Solo tonight – it’s my current fav bar!
Currently Needing: Groceries. So bad. But I don’t want to buy anything before my vacation. I’m not even going to share what I scrapped together for lunch yesterday. It’s like being in college all over again.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









5 comments:
i think this roommate situation already sounds like it is going to be waaaaaaaaay better. good luck!
and the cat dragging it's butt? gross.
In the immortal words of John Mellencamp ("Wild Night"): all the girls walk by, dressed up for each other...
Yes, we do. Except when we show massive amounts of cleavage or leg. THAT is for the guys because other girls then gossip as we walk by and call us big hoochymamas. But we do it anyway ;-)
@alexa
i know right? i could tell stories for dayz about this girl. (ps. i was sure to not capatalize anything - just for you!) ;)
@Lily
I love that you just provided a music quote to go with my post. Awesome. You're right, I do not bring out the girls for girls! It's a fine line for all of us girls to like each other, isn't it? Kinda sad.
I like how you asked Craigslist chick to move out... I'd love to hear that story!
I might have a post or two up my sleeve, recapping all the crazy roommates I've had. I received a specific request for it. And I think it'd be super funny! Some roommates are SO weird! As far as the story behind asking her to move out, there's not a good one. There's just good lists of how WEIRD she was!!
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.