Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ghetto fabulous chic

Can someone please tell me what’s so special about lululemon athletica?

I have heard nothing but great raves about it – and my super sporty best friend owns a ton of their stuff and practically wets herself every time her boyfriend buys her something from there. But, I’ve never stepped foot in their store because I was always like, “Well, I’m not really into yoga, so I’ll spare myself that expensive obsession.”

Redacted.

Now I AM hanging out with the cool kids – I do yoga! I do yoga! I can shop at lululemon! I mean, really, life isn’t complete until you have expensive items in your closet from Coach and lululemon! *Sarcasm* for those of you who can’t detect it via the Interwebs.

I still like to check out bandwagons, however, before I decide to jump or not to jump. So, imagine the level of my giddiness when I drove past the outlet malls on my way north last weekend and discovered a lululemon outlet store! At last! Now I can feel comfortable checking out their goods and not spending my last $100, meant for gas and groceries, on clothing. (I’ve been known to do that on more than one occasion). So I excitedly pulled over, expecting to find some super suhWEET deals (like $30 super cute and comfy yoga pants), but apparently I’m delusional. The yoga pants on the CLEARANCE rack at the OUTLET store were $66. Does that make the original price, um, $200 a piece?? Cause really, we’re talking yoga pants here. Some stretchy cotton. With maybe a tie at the waste. In a different color. That’s as fancy as they get. What about lululemon's yoga gear is so effing special that they are charging so much?

Which brings me to the whole point of this rant – I am, and always will be, a sucker for a sale and a great price. I love to shop, but I also would much rather be proud of my super killer shoes or bag I found at Ross for $25, than wear a designer top I picked up at Nordstrom’s for $200 – and have 45 other girls own it. I take pride in the fact that I’m thrifty chic. Any girl can buy an ugly Louis Vuitton bag. (And man, are those bags are ugly. Like super ugly. Like they got beat with an ugly stick and their momma don’t even love them, ugly.) But not every girl can find a fabulous bag that’s inexpensive, everything you need and original. That takes some scowering!

So thank you, lululemon, but no thanks. I’ll stick to my favorite yoga pants from Target that I kinda want to live in every day. And I'll roll into yoga class with my black pants straight out of the ghe-TTO, and bust the shit out of some tree poses.

Okthanxbai.

Currently Feeling: Tired. I’m at work super duper early so I can leave early for the last fitting of my Dolphin Sister’s wedding dress before the wedding next week in Mexico!
Currently Anticipating: Checking out this super amazing apartment tonight, with everything we need and the best location EVER.
Currently Needing: Guest bloggers for the week I’m gone. I’ve lined a few good ones up – let me know if you’d be interested too!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely too expensive! I just spent $25 on a pair of "lounge" pants to run and do yoga in from Fox Racing; they were on sale, too. So, that's not too bad. But over $60 on sale? No, thanks.

lovingthe30's said...

I do have some more cost effective workout clothes but I have to say I do own some Lululemon and while I agree, they are too expensive, I totally love them and notice the difference. In my opinion, when it comes to higher cost in clothes one of the things you are paying for is the quality after washing it 2 dozen times and in athletic clothes that could be a concern. I wash mine at least twice a week and they are still like new.

The other "benefit" they tout, is how slimming their clothes help you to look. It's definitely a confidence booster. :)

Jeanna said...

@lovingthe30's
I'm with the quality argument. But, I really do have the most fantastic pair of Champion yoga pants from Target for $17.99 that really suck the fat in - so I feel skinny in those bastard black spandex. Haha. They might fall apart in the wash in a couple months, but I could go out and buy another pair, hell, buy TWO pairs - and I'd still be ahead, right? ;)
Watch, I'll end up buying something from lululemon soon and will totally have to eat my words.

lovingthe30's said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention though. You're right, $66 isn't a great deal. I bought a pair of pants and a top (with removable padding) for around a $100 for both. This works to my theory though: outlet stores are a load of crap most of the time. ;)

Unknown said...

I totally love lululemon, but I never buy anything full price. They have the BEST sports bras!

I'm also a big fan of Lucy, another ridiculously cute but expensive women's sports clothing store. Their sales are much more reasonable.

Anonymous said...

who is "we" for the apartment? :)

Teena in Toronto said...

I have friends who swear by it!

Wendy said...

I know those target pants you're talking about... with the tummy panel - GENIUS! The C2 bras are also great. I've heard good things about the Victoria's Secret yoga pants, too, and they go on sale for like 2/$30.

Seriously though - who wants to spend that kind of cash on somethign you're just going to sweat in? Y

Jeanna said...

@lovingmy30s
I agree! Outlet stores are bogus! I hear they have some good sales in the actual store...

@Kristen
Me and this friend of a friend, Lindsey. I'll email you the deets. She seems totally freakin cool.

@wendy
I LOVE the Champion bras. Oh man. They are so comfy, sweat proof and in the cutest colors ever!

Independently Dependent said...

Every woman in the Marina in San Francisco owns lululemon. and wears it, regardless of the time of day. in fact, i'm pretty sure that 80% of them don't even work out, it's just cool to own and wear lululemon so...you know, that's how they do it here. or, rather, there. the Marina is a world of its own.

Jeanna said...

@Independently Dependent
I told you! No life is complete until you own lululemon and Coach bags! Someday, someday...

Jeanna said...

Oh, p.s. Wendy - I have been eying a pair of Victoria Secret yoga pants for a long time now. They are SO cute! And only like $30. I want the pair that folds over at the waster - with white!

Katie said...

Hey-Followed ya from TSW. Love your blog layout, btw. And loved what I've read so far.

I'd be willing to give a hand with a guest blog if you need any last minute-ers.

If not, no worries. I'm sure I'll be seeing more of ya!

Jeanna said...

@Katie
Welcome! Thanks for the kind words. I LOVE new blog friends! And I'll send you a message about guest blogging. ;)

Lily said...

My friend Brit SWEARS by their stuff, but my first time hearing about lulu was just about a month or so ago when she discovered it and raved about it's awesomeness. I'm afraid to check it out for fear of finding something new to spend my money on! I like my Target brand yoga gear just fine.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.