Saturday, November 15, 2008

20-Something gets her haircut: Dubliner Man Crush returns

Life is weird. It’s just plain weird.

Friday night I met up with my bestie, Amanda, and a mutual girl friend we had when we lived together in Fremont. The two of us haven’t seen her since that time approximately four years ago, so it was a bit of an exciting girl reunion.

After getting my haircut, I bused my way to Ballard to meet up with them at The Matador, which was insanely crowded—standing room only. We squeezed in at the bar, drank a couple glasses of wine, and then decided to move on down to a *hopefully* less-crowded bar—The Ballard Loft. Another couple glasses of wine there, and we were sufficiently buzzed. Our old girlfriend decided she had to venture home before things got too out of control (a good reason why I don’t live somewhere as far away as Lynnwood. Who wants to miss out on the chance to get recklessly out of control?!), and soon it was just the two of us in the bar.

Amanda decided it was time to mingle since she's single and “just wants to feel the weight of a maaannn” on her. I sat awkwardly at the bar while she eyed and made a flirty comment to a tall, dark and handsome standing behind us. I glanced behind me to check her target out, and noticed that the short, dark and handsome standing next to her tall was non other than Dubliner Man Crush. And we caught eyes.

Fcuk. Fcuk. Fcuk.

That was an embarrassing and totally awkward little attempt at dating—and it’s never fun to be reminded about how you were completely rejected after shamelessly throwing yourself at someone. *Cringe.* Even if he did try to make up for the rejection later.

I tried to hiss the details to Amanda to explain how uncomfortable and mortified I was, but she was unfortunately unaware of the story since she was living in Canada at the time and only interested in flirty with the target. So, I did the only thing that seemed logical in my mind—I downed the last of my white wine, straightened my clothing, took a deep breath and repeated, “It’s not that bad, it’s not that bad,” and turned around to approach the group.

The whole interaction was pretty uneventful, albeit awkward—especially when his friend asked how we knew each other, and we kinda both nodded to “through a friend” and he said, “Uh, we sorta met cause we both used to get our haircut at the same place.”

And here’s the weird part—if you’re not familiar with the story, I kept running into this guy at my hair salon. I mean like totally weird run-ins. He was always there, getting his hair cut when I was. And then I wouldn’t make an appointment for three to six months, and the one day I decide to go in—there he is. At the time, I was convinced it was fate.

So why do I think life is so weird?

Because the last interaction I had with him was sometime last February, he moved to Texas for a couple months, and then the night I ran into him again, is the ONE night I got my haircut in nearly SIX months by the same stylist. It's like all our life cords are attached or something.

Now if that isn’t totally bizarre, I don’t know what it.

Currently Feeling: Disappointed in The Glitter Sale.
Currently Anticipating: Date night at the 20-Something “The New Vintage” wine event tonight!
Currently Reading: “Fieldwork” by Mischa Berlinski.

6 comments:

Whit said...

ahhh awkward run ins...who doesn't love those?

Jeanna said...

I know. They're just so much fun, aren't they? They seem to happen to me about once every three months. Curse Seattle for being too small to hide all my dates in the shadows!

Anonymous said...

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I do believe that you ought to publish more about this subject matter, it may not be a taboo subject but usually people do not speak about such subjects.
To the next! Cheers!!
Here is my web page : bostäder i Antalya

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog right here! Also your site rather a lot up fast!
What host are you the use of? Can I get your associate link to your host?
I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol
My web page: http://asuntoturkista.net

Anonymous said...

Saved as a favorite, I love your site!
my web site - boligityrkia.net

Anonymous said...

This post is invaluable. When can I find out more?
Look at my page www.soulmatesawait.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.