Friday, March 7, 2008

The happiest time on Earth

Did you know that happy hour could be considered an American tradition?

Apparently the term originated in the United States Navy during the 1920s and referred to certain hours on ships were everyone was “happy”—slightly drunk during on-ship performances. Good ole’, accurate and always reliable Wikipedia says that happy hours caught-on during Prohibition, when speakeasies would hold a cocktail hour or “happy hour” before dinner because alcohol could only be legally sold in restaurants at dinnertime. [#]

In fact, all of us Americans should consider ourselves lucky to have happy hours. I was shocked when best girl friend Amanda, who recently moved to Canada with her boyfriend, told me that there’s not a happy hour to be found in her new location outside of Toronto cause they’re not allowed. Happy hour is also banned in Ireland and Britain in an attempt to crackdown on binge drinking. Pffff. I say binge drinking is good for the body and the environment!

To me, there is nothing more exciting than trying to choose which happy hour I want to attend after work—and even better when it’s sunny in Seattle and the patios are wide-open, sunbathing spaces for cheap drinks and eats. I could live in Seattle for the rest of my life and probably never make it to all the happy hours available. How’s that for a reason to keep on living? If the United States ever bans happy hour, that will be my last and final straw to vacate this country for my own happy-hour-loving (and Republican-free) island.

Sarah and I are heading to happy hour tonight, which of course has meant many emails back and forth, and a little research on the best happy hour site ever. It’s between $4 martins and small plates at Tini Bigs, Tom Douglas’ Lola with $3 appetizers and a $5 Greek martini, or $1.95 sushi and $3.95 cocktails at DragonFish

Really, what’s a girl to do?!

Currently Feeling:
Jazzed, impatient and serially excited.
Currently Anticipating: Our sexual chocolate girl party this weekend!
Currently Hoping: That I’ll know the verdict by Monday.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.