Thursday, January 17, 2008

Late afternoon, at the coffee counter

I just ventured over to the sink and coffee area in my office to rinse out my Tupperware from my lunches in the last couple days, (a rare occasion that I get around to this before they’re so crusted and moldy that it’s more beneficial to just throw them away) and to grab a late afternoon cup of coffee.

An elderly lady who I’ve never seen at work before, probably in at least her 60s, approached the sink just as I did.
“It’s about that time of day, huh?” she said to me in a cute little old lady voice, in reference to washing our lunch dishes.

“Mmm hmm,” I agreed and moved over to pour myself a cup of coffee, only to find the carafe was empty.
Argh! I swear this happens to me at least three times a week. Three years out of college and two years past my days as a barista at Tully’s, and I’m still making everyone else’s coffee. Common courtesy, people!
“Well you got here just in time to refill the coffee!” she exclaims.

“I know; lucky me," I replied. "It is my opinion that this should be done by the person who used the last of the coffee.”

“Yeah, but I bet it was a boy, from what experience tells me…” she said with discern as she walked away.
I laughed. We never will lose that cynicism for the opposite sex, now will we?

Currently Feeling: Impatient sprinkled with a few drops of relief.
Currently Anticipating: Girl Power Hour tonight at Solo.
Currently Listening To: Mike’s techno mix he made for me.

P.S. I updated my link lists to be alphabetized, and my blogroll includes a couple more blogs I've been reading lately...

9 comments:

iheartthirty said...

Boys. Ew. ;)

Anonymous said...

Techno, ew, I hope there were other mixes for you to listen too.

Jeanna said...

I happen to love techno. Everyone has their own opinion!

ReadyToShelve said...

Except for you girls who are all too dumby to have opinions or make coffee right.

*empties carafe, sprints away*

Sarah Alway said...

Hmmm... I am on the fence about this one. In our office, we take the attitude of, "If the coffee pot is empty and you want more, make it your damn self, the person who got the last of it was a lucky bastard."

Jeanna said...

LOL Steve.

Sarah, that might work in a small office like yours. But we have probably close to 100 people just on my floor. So, it's rude to not refill the huge coffee carafe, IMO.

Sarah Alway said...

I just had to look up "IMO" - not popular enough to know the term. Definitions that came up:

1) Imperial Oil, Ltd.
2) In Memory Of
3) In My Opinion (which I assume is what you meant)
4) International Maritime, Mathematical, Meteor or Meteorogical Organization

Urban Dictionary says: "Use if you want to a) weaken your argument significantly, or b) make it known that this is not your neighbor's opinon or you doctor's opinion, it is yours."

IMO in japaneese means POTATO.

Ah ha.

Jeanna said...

In my opinion, HOMO.

Now look up what HOMO stands for.

LOL! LOL!

I'm a geek speak geek.

Sarah Alway said...

Homo erectus (Latin: "upright man")

Tee hee.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.