Friday, May 15, 2009

Quest for the Holy Grail

Did you know that they melted down the Holy Grail and made it into a bike? I know this because I went on a personal quest for it today.

(Holding coconuts) Clop, clop, clop.*

About a month ago, my BF went to a sports store in Seattle that is going out of business and was having a huge sale. His mission: a new bike. While I was at this sports store, I found a girls bike leaning in the corner, and I sat on it to ride it around the store. Mostly out of boredom. I’ve had a trusty mountain bike that I got for Christmas in 10th grade, and I never felt the need to upgrade since I’m not an avid rider. Except I fell in love with this bike during the two loops that I made around the store. It had handle bars that perfectly curved back for women’s smaller arms. The seat was on a suspension system that would gently sit back every time you moved or went over a bump. (Which I later found is patented to K2). AND, it was cute and girly with flowers on the frame. I wanted it bad. The price tag, however, wasn’t something I was prepared for. So, I sadly left the bike at the store.

In the next month, all I could think about was the bike. I told everyone I knew about it. I pictured how DIFFERENT my life would be – “If I had this bike, I’d ride it everywhere, and I’d get totally skinny and HOT,” I’d say inside my head. “I’ll start riding my bike to work! I won’t eat Taco Bell at 2 a.m. or make Belgium waffles so I can dip them in cream cheese frosting anymore!” (Someone please throw out the tub of frosting that is still sitting in my fridge from my BF’s birthday cake. Please). I went to the Web site and drooled at it – I read reviews and decided that I MUST have this bike.

Yesterday I found it on Amazon.com for nearly half the price. I decided it was going to be mine. But when went to make the purchase today, I realized the only size they had was meant for girls 5’9’’ and above. Let me tell you, that’s not me. I do not originate from The Amazon. My heart sank. I startled Googling for the bike, but I couldn’t find the size and model I needed anywhere for sale in ALL of the Internet universe. WTF?

K2 listed REI as their only retail provider, but REI's site didn't have the bikes. I was getting a little nervous. I decided to call all the REIs in the state of Washington, desperate for one last in-store model. Store 1, none. Store 2, none. Store 3, not the model I wanted. Store 4, not the model I wanted. Store 5 was all too kind to tell me that K2 is discontinuing their bikes, and pretty much “you don’t have a chance in hell in finding it.”

I started to panic. Finally, one store searched their inventory lists and told me they had one in the size I needed in Oregon, one in New Jersey and one a size larger at a local store.

I started to feel a bit jittery and nervous as I dialed the number to the local store. I’d make the size a little bit larger work! I’d where platform sandals every time I rode it! I HAD.TO.HAVE this bike!

“Ohhhh. I think we just sold that this morning,” the guy in the local REI’s bike department told me.

F*&#!

I had most definitely fallen in love with the Holy Grail of bicycles.

I made the one last phone call to the REI in Oregon for the bike. This was my only chance at true bike love. Otherwise, I was destined to be bitter and trip all the girls I ever see who were lucky enough to buy this bike before it turned into the Holy Grail. The store in Oregon hadn’t sold theirs yet AND it was the color I wanted (something I was going to budge on, but I wanted the pink one over the red, obvs.)

VICTORY! VICTORY!

This sweet little number is going to be on her way to me this week:

I can’t wait! I better go finish the tub of frosting before she gets here…

*If you got that reference. You rock. If you didn’t, you must go watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail immediately.

Currently Feeling: Stressed out about this project I have to launch next Wednesday at work. I can’t seem to focus, and it’s not done. Grr.
Currently Anticipating: Happy hour and a night out tonight, hanging out with a long lost girl friend tomorrow night and the Seattle Cheese Festival on Sunday at Pike Place Market!
Currently Loving: That it’s going to be in the 70s this weekend! Hello sunshine! I think I’m in love with you.

6 comments:

Megan said...

The only reason I got the reference is because my husband LOVES that movie, and he likes to do the clop, clop, clop sound with his hands.

That bike is beautiful!

Kelly said...

Amazing. Even I think that bike is sexy and I am pretty much terrified of bikes...or any physical exercise for that matter! Congrats on the find - be careful on those QA hills though!

lovingthe30's said...

"Of course I'm french! Can't you tell by my outrageous accent!" My favorite line from that movie. :) I love the bike! I'm picking mine up next weekend, now we can make that trek to the wineries in style!

Jeanna said...

@Megan
Thank GOD someone got the reference. I felt like such a dork when I wrote it.

@Kelly
Oh Kelly, I love you! I'm super glad you're back to reading! Can't wait to stay tuned to your new blog.

@lovingthe30s
We're going to have to plan some Sunday bike rides together! Riding bikes is the new popular thing to do! The four of us are all going to have NEW shiny bikes. How fun!!

Write up your alley said...

A little bird told me that this bike was in Bend, Ore....

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know this is a post from a long time ago, but if you ever need anything from Oregon let me know! I live really close to Portland and can help you out!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.