Monday, May 11, 2009

A Day for Just the Ladies

Happy Mother’s Day to all your moms and mine!

I spent this year's sunny mother’s day with just my mom and my little sister; my dad got called into work at the last minute, which actually allowed for a girls day only with the three of us. While my dad is nothing short of awesome, but we rarely get girls days, so it was a blessing in disguise.

We started off with brunch at Alexa’s Garden Café – a tiny little café that’s located in a greenhouse within a plant nursery, surrounded by lush greenery and koi ponds. The weather was sunny, so it was a perfect way to start the day. I loved the café because the prices were inexpensive, and you could order half orders of all their meals for even smaller portions or prices. I ordered an omelet with cream cheese, maple bacon (!!!), green onions and tomatoes. And because I am genius, I gave my mom a gift certificate to spend on plants after breakfast since she likes that sort of thing, and I figured one day looking at plants wouldn't kill me. (I was wrong. It almost did.)

Next, we ventured to the Fremont Sunday Market – an outdoor artsy flea market located in a hippie neighborhood of Seattle. It’s one of my all-time favorite markets (next to Pike Place) because of the eclectic booths – flowers; handmade soaps; silkscreened T-shirts; glass-blown vases; photography and art prints; spices from exotic lands; cookies, Indian food and wood fire pizza; antiques and local fashion designs. I almost always come home with something spectacular – this time, with a metallic pink pair of oversized granny sunglasses that I’m going to rock a lot this summer. We picked up a BBQ Pork Hum bow and a small bag of kettlecorn to get us through shopping the market.




On the way back to the car, we stopped by Theo Chocolate factory to buy my ALL.TIME.FAVORITE candies – Big Daddy’s. A square of buttery graham cracker crust topped with caramel and marshmallow made from scratch, and then coated in milk chocolate. They are simply DEvine.

Finally, we wrapped up the day with a trip to Molly Moon’s Homemade Ice Cream – a somewhat new ice cream shop in Seattle that is being raved about, most recently being featured in Bon Appetit magazine as one of the top 10 ice cream shops in the nation. I’ve heard rumors about lines around the block, but luckily we chose a day when most are at brunch with their moms instead of ordering a single scoop of Birthday Cake ice cream in a homemade waffle cone that is still slightly warm and chewy from the waffle iron. My mom opted for the Pomegranate Curry flavor, and my sister ordered Salted Caramel. Other interesting flavors worth noting: Balsamic Strawberry, Salted Black Licorice, and “Scout” Mint made from Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies.

To say we ate our way through Mother’s Day is an understatement. It was glorious.

What special things did you do on Mother’s Day?

Currently Feeling: Rushed with work this week - focus, focus, focus!
Currently Anticipating: Trader Joe's Stuffed Peppers for lunch.
Currently Needing: A new book. I'm going to head out on lunch to pick one out, but think I'll check Amazon's Best Sellers list first.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Are those the new pants from the RueLaLa shop?

Girl's days are always so fun!

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i like the name of the cafe :)

Children of the 90s said...

Cute bag! Looks like a fun day :)

EP said...

It sounds and looks like you, your mom and sister had a fabulous time together! I wasn't able to go home this year, so my mother and I will be celebrating in two weeks when I come home for a wedding.

Jeanna said...

@Megan
That they are! They're a little big around the waste, but then a little tight in the butt and things - where I'm most curvy. ;) Sigh. I guess that's what happens when you online shop. But I still think they'll be a great addition to my spring wardrobe!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.