My lovely review copy came just in time for me to pack it with me on the plane to Mexico. I started it right away while lying poolside on day one, and HELLO, I couldn’t put it down! I kinda wanted my BF to go off on solo snorkeling trips all the time, just so I could be left alone with the book. Now, if you know me, you know that I read a lot of books and a review like that should come highly coveted. [I'm not just giving a rave review for shits and giggles or suck-up points.]
At age 26 Altman realizes that she’s never had an orgasm and goes on an emotional, physical and sometimes spiritual quest for one. Immediately you’ll probably have the reaction that my boyfriend did when I told him about the book, “Not even with a vibrator?”
No. Not even that. And for the first 100 pages I was like, “Girl! Just go out and buy a freakin vibrator!” as she carefully, with the detail of a true journalist, logs all of her past sexual relationships, growing up with a sexually open "naked family," and her emotional attachments, or nonattachments, that have prevented her from orgasming. Pretty soon, everyone in her story was telling her to just.go.out, and buy a VIBRATOR too, but for Altman, it was more of a personal journey and exploration. Altman’s quest turned from simply searching for orgasm, to searching for the sexual being in her that would let go of all inhibitions, insecurities and just LOVE being a woman, even with all the grody details that womanhood sometimes entails.
Altman is insightful, witty (even the mere chapter titles crack me up) and delightfully honest. And what keeps the book rolling, page after page, is her secret door into the crazy underworld of sex. I don’t even know where she obtained half the contacts she did, but as she searches for her orgasmic self and the MEANING OF ORGASM, she spends time with sex workers and scientists, goes to sex shows and conventions, takes off on trips with a sex colony, interviews women that have been deemed the original, ALL-KNOWING sources of the female orgasm, and regularly experiments with her “sacred whore.”
You’ll want to read this book, if for nothing else than to kick up your sex vibe a bit – if you read about sex, you’re thinking about sex, and it pretty much makes you want to have sex all the time. I think I wanted to have sex 462 times a day while I read this book. That might be TMI, but nothing like the TMI you’ll read in Thanks for Coming…
So, the book went on sale today, but I have five lovely copies to give away to you, blog readers! Isn’t that exciting? All you have to do is enter the contest by telling me in the comments how many people you’ve slept with!
Joke.
Just leave any comment, no special response necessary, and you’ll be entered. If your comment doesn’t link to a site, be sure to leave your email or send it to me privately at whatjesaid@gmail.com. If you have a Twitter account, and Tweet about the contest, I'll give you a double entry. The giveaway closes on Friday, and I will choose five winners at random and mail out your copy of the book this weekend!
(P.S. The first person to leave a comment automatically wins a book just because your Twitter or RSS skills rock).
Currently Feeling: Groggy. I couldn't stop watching Trading Spouses last night. Those people are craaazy!
Currently Anticipating: Checking out some more sweet condos/apartments tonight. I'm anxious to make a decision this week!
Currently Needing: To get back into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I opted for lighter reading during vacation, and now I'm not into it.









42 comments:
I'm 24 and have never had an orgasm. That may or may not be a lie making you feel sorry for me and fixing the contest.
Did it work?
Ha :) Retweeting now.
You're already a winner, even if you haven't orgasmed, Katie! (Which I know is a lie cause you own a Jesus vibrator). Ha!
First comment gets you the first copy!
you're right, who doesn't love to read/write/talk/have sex? I'm entering. ;)
allie(at)fabyuhluhs(dot)com
I agree, I love sex books ;)
Um, I want a copy!
the sacred whore? I must hear more about that. Love a good memoir and just read Carrie Fishers Wishful drinking that kept me laughing even thru her hard times.
Nothing says a beach read like an orgasm.
confessionsofacohabitant@gmail.com
Thanks for the recommended read, Allison! I'll do just about anything for a good memoir. ;)
Dying to read this! I love books and since I'm absolutely celibate at the moment (sad, I know spring time should = sex time) I would love to live vicariously through Altman's sexplorations!
About to retweet for my double entry, if I RT every day do I get additional entries?! :)
Oh. Wow.I didn't see that part.I have selective reading, although this would have benefited me to see that.
I want mine autographed by you. KThnx. Seriously, I'm SO SO Excited!
Oh, and It's a Jackhammer Jesus, OKAY?
I think I'll have a contest auctioning off the Baby Jesus Butt Plug. I'll fix the contest so you can win, I know you want it.
Must.have.copy.of.book.so.I.can.think.about.sex.more.than.I.already.do.
Love you! Hope you pick my name!
@novelwhore
Yes. If you RT each day from now until Friday, I'll give you that many entries. You already have two, girl! ;)
HAHAHA! I can tell I'll love the book too!
Thanks for the review, and if I don't win, then I'll be sure to go out and buy a copy.
:D
I was so about to comment how many people I slept with ... but then I noticed no one else was and I reconsidered. Probably a good thing ...
Tee hee.
westcoastjune@gmail.com
Dude so I've had an orgasm but never through sex or by a man. Take pity on me.
We all need a little help in this department right!
andrea_courtney@hotmail.com
I'm so with you on the loving memoirs and talking about sex.
And my answer is 6. Which means I should win because I'm the ONLY person who answered your original question. Ha.
the book sounds awesome - i'm dying to read it! and my number is 9... :)
2!
can I have a book now plz?
Oh my goodness. I need to read this book. If you read this http://frogthrower.blogspot.com/2009/02/six-am-is-not-time.html,
you will know why.
This is my entry. Even if I don't win, thank you for the book recommendation. I will be buying it this weekend if I don't win. :)
I've been looking for something new to read! Would love a copy!
Is it wrong that this is the post that made me delurk? No? Yes?
Cracks my shiz up that you guys are actually telling me how many people you've slept with! Hahha.
@Bridget (Number 1 since there's two in a row)
Oh girl wow. I read your post. You DO need to read this book! At least you got it out on the table - but I can't believe your boy called you out!
@stealthnerd
No! We'll do anything in the name of orgasm. Lol.
Thanks for delurking. ;)
i heart my romance novels for the lusty bits, but rarely read non fiction lustiness. i will retweet too, but if i don't win i'll definitely be buying this book!
WOW Je. This post really identifies your readership demographic.
I won't describe that demographic in the interest of keeping this a demilitarized zone.
@paolo
Yeah. Girls. Girls that like to read. So really intelligent, undoubtedly beautiful girls.
Who also like sex.
Tell me every man doesn't dream of that trifecta?
I was more thinking of sexually dissatisfied lurkers looking for a handout, but the trifecta works, too. ;)
so if i bought this book, i would probably need to hide it when my mom comes to visit?
if that's the case, i can't wait to read it. haha
Sounds like fun. Orgasms, women...what's not to love?
Thanks.
sign me up!! i wanna read it, sounds how you say, interesting...
This is the first contest I've ever entered. Good luck, me! Haha.
sign me up! sign me up!
All right MICHAEL! The one and only boy to enter the contest! Woo hoo!
Crap! I've been off the computer for a couple of days and jumped on this a little late...I had better give you a little story for my entry. First orgasm (from someone else :) 18 yrs old, met him that night (I know, I know) he was in his later 20's, he took me back to his apartment and told me he didn't want to have sex, only give me an orgasm which HE DID and we didn't. Wow, changed how I have sex ever since! Taught me to fully just let go. Ok, there's my entry. :)
@novelwhore
1 entry for Twitter RT
@lustyreader
1 entry for Twitter RT
@novelwhore
Another entry for Twitter RT
@somewhatvoluble
1 entry for Twitter RT
@White
1 entry for Twitter RT
@novelwhore
1 entry for Twitter RT
@novelwhore
Another entry for Twitter RT
8! I think.
This sounds great!
fuck i missed the cutoff!!!!????
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.