Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Chocolate-chip sunsets

Last night I walked up three blocks from my house to a park in Seattle with a view that spans the entire city, surrounding water and mountains in the distance.

It was sometime around 7:30 p.m., and as the boyfriend and I reached the crest of the hill the park was at the top of, we noticed 20 or something other people sitting and standing around the small area of grass and benches. As we took a seat and cracked our bottle of wine, more couples holding hands, families with strollers and individuals with cameras continued to approach the park, which is located at the crossroads of four roads in my neighborhood.

“Sheesh, it’s like a freakin neighborhood party here,” I said.

The weather was warm enough for a light sweatshirt, the grass perfect to lie on and the sun swiftly setting in the west left a golden glow above the hills far in the distance. When I was little, my mom used to tell me that the angels were baking cookies when the sky was the color of glowing orange embers, just as it was last night.

I’m not going to go on and on about the weather, and how it’s changing, and how that is oh so lovely. But I will say this, I love what spring does to Seattle. It’s like the whole city defrosts and everyone comes alive. The streets seem busier. The parks are jam packed. There’s a bit more bounce in steps. A bit more laughter. And, it seems, a bit more loving.

Keep on baking those cookies, angels. Seattle looks amazing in your glow.

Currently Feeling: Relieved my entire day of team “strategizing” at work is over, but bummed I have to do it all again tomorrow. Sitting in a dark boardroom when it's this nice out is agonizing!
Currently Anticipating: My first Mariners game of the season tomorrow.
Currently Worried About: The 20-something blogger swap – what am I going to write, argh!

2 comments:

Independently Dependent said...

I miss home.

flipflops said...

Ditto. But I'll be there for a very short weekend in 10 days! Let's hope the sunshine sticks around.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.