I think I might have mentioned a bit in the last couple weeks that I’m moving. I've lived in my apartment in Seattle for more than two years now. It’s officially the longest I’ve ever stayed in one place since I’ve been 18, and I’m slightly attached. It’s walking distance to everything, has “Old World Charm,” hardwood floors, two walls of windows that overlook Puget Sound and a rooftop patio with 360-degree views of the entire city. BUT, it also has the tiniest closet you could ever imagine (I’ve opted to use my bed and floor for increased closet space, so that’s getting really old), no dishwasher, coin-operated washer and dryers, and a kitchen so ancient that I’m pretty sure it predated my grandparents. (The color of my appliances is actually called Harvest Gold, if that tells you anything).
So, when a great new roommate came along, I bit her bait when she asked if I’d be willing to find a new place, rather than have her move into my soon-to-be vacant second bedroom. The decision to move out is something I feel both super excited and super bummed about. I’d been holding out on signing another lease because of that whole “wanting to move out of Seattle this year” thing. Le sigh. But, the prices available right now for renting were too great to pass up. If the bad economy is doing one thing – it’s making everything cheaper and more affordable. It’s hard to be bummed about signing another lease when I’m moving into a place that is newer, even closer walking distance to everything, with a washer, dryer, dishwasher, two balconies, my own bathroom and my own garage parking spot – for LESS than I pay now. And I didn't even have to give up the water and Space Needle view. Can you believe that?
I’ve spent the last two weeks saying things like, “I can’t believe I’ll never have to do another sink of dishes again!” “I’m SO excited to never have to pay for laundry again!”
So this week I’ve been futilely attempting to pack up my “life.” In this apartment, I’ve acquired a lot more STUFF than I’ve ever had before. Each box I fill and each box I tape, I ask myself, “Why in the HELL are you moving out, again?!” I know I don’t have to tell you that moving is seriously the most miserable thing. Right up there with oh, um, funerals, stubbing your big toe and Hillary Duff concerts. Which makes me second-guess signing another lease even more because the thought of doing this again in less than a year makes me want to pluck my eyelashes out one by one. Or dry shave. (Are those enough metaphors to get my miserable point across?)
The weirdest part of packing is going through all the drawers you rarely open, finding stuff you didn’t know you had, sifting through the memories... I’m not a pack rat, but I do carry sentimental value with few items that I’m not ready to let go of. Last night I cracked a bottle of wine and allowed myself to linger and look through things while I packed. I read pages of journals from college about feelings I don’t remember having. I read love letters, break-up letters, birthday cards, poems I wrote, college essays (I actually wrote a persuasive essay for English 101 about how Eminem is the greatest artist of all time), and looked through pictures that I think were of me; it was almost an out-of-body experience. I looked at a girl who I know was me, but I don’t really remember being that girl. Life is so weird. I can’t tell you how much I can relate with the whole “life is like an onion” comparison. I feel like I’m continuously peeling away layers of myself to find a new self inside.
So this is the first time that I’ve moved since college where I've taken a look at all the sentimental college stuff and asking myself why the hec I still have it hanging around… Do I really need a desk chocked full of all the magazines I was Editor in Chief for, or all my newspaper article clippings? Do I really need rainbow candles, snowboard company stickers or a penis figurine? I finally boxed everything up that I haven’t needed or looked at in years, and am trying to be super picky about what I don't throw away. I want one of those clean, uncluttered, "adult" rooms that have everything in their proper storage bins ala Trading Spaces or Real Simple.
So, the time has come to let go of all those college items and memories that are really lovely inside my head, but don’t necessarily need to be outside of boxes anymore. Time to peel away another layer…
Currently Feeling: Cheerful, bright and sunny.
Currently Anticipating: Signing the lease and getting my keys tonight!
Currently Loving: TextsFromLastNight.com So freakin hilarious; it’s made my Friday.
Friday, April 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









11 comments:
Moving sucks. I just did it about a month ago. How cool that you live in such a big city! I've never been to Seattle, but it's on my list of places to visit. This is also the first time I've been in one place for more than a year. It's nice to feel somewhat established, but that will only make it harder when I inevitably leave in another couple of years. And I will have WAY too much crap to move...including more furniture...I don't even want to think about it.
Seattle's actually not really that big of a city. But, it's still a city! Yep. It's the furniture that's killing me. I acquired a couch, bookshelf, coffee table and entertainment center this go round. Grrr. I should just live in a cardboard box.
Just be thankful you don't have a garage. It's amazing how much more crap you accumulate when you have space to store it.
I've been going through my photo/memento boxes that I've moved several times without opening. There's a lot of things that I've held onto that don't really mean much to me anymore. You'll know the things you'll want to keep. It's kind of freeing not to have all that around anymore.
If I end up making the next move I want to make, I've decided to rent a storage unit for random things like all my old clips, my music boxes from childhood and maybe even my outdoor gear. Space is precious in an apartment.
Good luck with the move. It can be totally stressful, but there something exciting about having a new place and changing up how you do things.
Lift with your legs and not your back!
Hey now... you know me, I'm a huge lover of the college days. I went out and bought nice storage pins and put all those goodies in there. I do have extra bedrooms to store that kind of stuff in, but I would NOT throw away your articles, penis things, poems, etc. You will be sad you did in years to come. If need me, give me your box and I will store it next to my college box!
storage "bins"
No, no, no. Not thrown away. Just packed away in a box to be stored... mostly. Some stupid stuff is getting thrown away. Like do I really need a beer can with the top missing because I thought it was the COOLEST.INVENTION.EVER one night to make my beer can a cup with a can opener?
I think not.
If you can, keep certain things because it's funny to look back on them. I have this 4 drawer thing since college that I can't bear to part with. It holds my degree (um yeah), pictures, warranties and even a halloween costume that everyone of my friends has worn at some point or another.
good luck with your move! everytime you talk about your city, i want to come visit. it sounds so much better than the big D!
textsfromlastnight.com is officially my new favorite website. amazing.
I'm about to go through all of my stuff and just purge my clutter of all unnecessaries... and I'm a little nervous. I like your attitude though, of cracking open a bottle and allowing yourself time to sort through things. Good luck with the move - show pictures sometime!
And the onion metaphor? One of the very first things I wrote when I started toying with the idea of writing/blogging/etc was a whole thing on "I am an onion" and all the layers. I remember giving Shrek credit :)
xoxo :)
@Allegories
Agreed. I can't imagine what it'll be like to move out of a house someday - I just have a tiny apartment now, and it's already a huge bitch.
@Allison M.
I'm keeping a lot! Just storing it better. ;) I can't completely let go of the memories - they're too great!
@Keep Calm and Carry On
If you come to Seattle, you better tell me!!!
@Lily
I'll get pictures up soon... I don't know the Shrek reference. Perhaps I should re-watch it?
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.