Tuesday, August 28, 2007

you never know when the opportunity will arise

Former crushes seem to be coming out of the woodwork for me lately…

Last night, as I was jogging down Queen Anne Avenue, I was approaching Uptown Coffee when I noticed a certain middle-aged, blue-eyed man who used to be the secret object of my affection when I worked at Ballard Tully’s. At the time, I was 23, and he was 38. Um, in case it isn't obvious, that’s astronomically out of my age range. I’ve been known to tip the scales a bit past the 10-year Rule, but 15 is pushing it too far.

Of course, that didn’t stop me from shamelessly, shamelessly flirting with him. He was one of those older George Clooney types—they get older, but stay just as sexy as ever. And no matter the age, a good-looking man is a good-looking man. I don’t care how you slice it. I fantasized about him, and tiptoed over the innocent-flirting line just a bit, until I chickened out of an email he sent me, asking if I wanted to get together. Realistically, I just couldn’t see myself taking it out of my fantasy bubble and into real life. So, I blew him off.

Of course, the first time I see him since then is when I’m red faced, wearing spandex and a crappy t-shirt, while running through the middle of the city. Life just works out that way sometimes, doesn’t it? He was sitting at the table with two, somewhat seemingly young coffee shop patrons. He didn’t offer an introduction, so I assumed he didn’t know them. I couldn’t decide if it was creepy that he was still in a coffee shop, picking up on younger girls, or if he was just being his usual friendly and handsome—perhaps a little lonely—self.

We small talked. What is there to say to someone who, at the most, you had a daily 10-minute conversation with while behind a counter? He asked about my job, and I told him that it was time for me to move on and I was actually job searching.
“Oh, really?” He asked. What are you looking to get into?”

“I don't know...marketing and communications, an ad agency…a company with a little more creativity,” I replied.

“I actually have a really good connection at Publicis. My brother in law is the National Director—you should send me your resume.”
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why it never hurts to shamelessly flirt with an older man.

Currently Feeling: Saucy and spicy. If only I had a boy to make out with; he’d be in for a treat.
Currently Anticipating: Hanging out with my besties at DOTL.
Currently Hating: That Hasselback declared Bush an honorary Seahawk?! WTF?

6 comments:

Dan 10Things said...

38 = middle-aged?

Jeanna said...

Yes. to me, 38=middle aged. What do you think "middle aged" should be?

Wikipedia says:

Middle age is the period of life beyond young adulthood but before the onset of old age.

At least I didn't call him an old man!

Leave it to you, Dan, to point out all the age references in my blog!

;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, when Shan and I saw that Hasselback did that, I said I am not spending any of my money on the Seahawks anything!!! That is just wrong, what's more wrong? People paying $10,000 just to get their picture taken with him, that's fucked. I hope you get a lead with the Publicis referral!

Anonymous said...

So are you sending your resume his way?! That's awesome! But yes, kinda wierd that he was hangin gout at a coffee shop...tee hee. And yes, I was quite saddened when I saw Hasselbeck's statement. So not cool. Even from a middle of the road girl!

Anonymous said...

I miss you. Will you please move down here so I can have your wit all the time? PLEASE?

Jeanna said...

Jenny: I'm tempted to not spend any money to support the Seahawks after that crap, too. It's pretty offensive. And I used to think he was sort of cute...with a hat on.

Caitlin: I want to so bad. So bad, you have no idea. It wouldn't be before my lease is up in March, however.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.