Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Shocker of the year

When I was in high school, I had a serious boyfriend who I dated for two or so years. He was my first everything.

I also had a good friend who I used to pick up every morning from school, skip second period to drink crappy coffee and eat eggs at Beth’s CafĂ©, and generally commiserate with about my shitty boyfriend, whom she was friends with.

My shitty boyfriend and my friend ended up dating before the two of us technically were over. By “technically” I mean that we were over before we even started, but it wasn’t official at the time the transition from me to her happened. For a high school girl in love for the first time, this was quite possibly the worst thing that had ever happened to me. I loathed the two of them, cried all day for days on end, couldn’t drag myself out of bed, had to talk about my “feelings” to a counselor and watched him pick her up every day after school. I was heartbroken, which seems so silly now, but we’ve all been there. My only retribution was that they tattooed their names on each other’s stomachs and then broke up two years later. But, in the meantime, watching my first love love someone else was hard.

Now, I’m so over it I should define a new definition of “over it.” I haven’t thought about him or her for years. I’ve grown. I went to college, made tons of friends, found a new love who replaced all feelings I ever thought I had for the first and let go of any and all hatred. I haven’t thought about my high school boyfriend or this particular high school friend in YEARS. Seven years, to be exact. I was over it the minute I packed my bags and moved to Bellingham to start my life in college.

Sunday night I received a MySpace message from this particular high school friend that went something like this:
Hi Jeanna. I saw you at Bothell High School graduation and you looked nice. You’ve been on my mind lately. I was wondering if you had any interest or time in meeting up for coffee. Let me know…
WHAT?! She’s pretty much the last person I ever expected to receive a MySpace message from. How weird! It's most definitely the shocker of the year. I don’t really know how to respond. I don’t want to be rude because I don’t want her thinking I still harbor any feelings about this, and I’d prefer to be an adult but, I also don’t really have any interest or need in rehashing the past, apologizing, etc. I’ve tried to draft a response to her twice now, but can’t write anything that doesn’t seem aloof, flippant or rude.

Thoughts?

6 comments:

Bri3636 said...

I say no - it's not about maturity, its just that life is too short to waste on people that aren't going to matter to you anyways. I would politly reply that you hope that she is doing well but that you have a lot going on right now.

Anonymous said...

Take a chance. What's to loose? I had someone break my heart and then the apologized 8 years later and we met for a drink. It wasn't bad at all, we hung out a few times more. It was actually interesting, she hasn't changed her ways though. It felt great!

Jeanna said...

oh great. two opinions. one says, "no way!' the other says, "take a chance!"
what's a girl supposed to do?!

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with Bri. Not out of hurt feelings, but its true, you ARE busy with your life now. And do you really have the time and interest? You've gottenover it and I'm sure she's wanting to clear her concsience by talking about it and apologizing. NO need to bring all that back.

Jeanna said...

I think it's a "clear her conscience" thing too, which I'm SO not interested in. I'm not trying to do her any favors cause she certainly didn't do me any. But, I think I'll at least write her back and ask her motive.

Anonymous said...

you should set up a time to meet and stand her up. OOPS. Then tell her she's dead to you. SSSSSSSSSSSINNNNNNNNNNER!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.