Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I did it, I said FART on my blog

I’ve recently been attending a yoga class at my gym on Monday nights. I’ve always wanted to do yoga, but have never found the time or money for it. This week I finally unwrapped the pink yoga mat I purchased approximately eight months ago that's been in my car, if that tells you anything. I think the increase in stress and anxiety in my life led me searching for someway to relieve it – and I’ve always heard yoga does the trick. So I signed myself up.

So far, it’s been really great. I love the special yoga room at my gym that has equipment to borrow, like blocks and straps, so I don’t have to buy them, and the giant windows gently let downtown Seattle twilight the room. I love that the yoga teacher plays relaxing music – but not just “ding, ding, ding” and babbling brooks – a couple weeks ago she busted out “Us and Them” by Pink Floyd. (A personal favorite).

But really, I have a dilemma with this whole yoga thing. I seriously only concentrate on not-farting the whole time I’m there. Yes, I know it. I just said FART on my blog. Gross. But, “girls give off just as much methane gas from farting as men” or something, which is what my boyfriend told me once to ease my embarrassment about farting myself awake while lying asleep in his lap on the couch. (Yes. He was awake; so mortifying). The problem with the girls farting vs. guys farting thing - even if we’re on level playing fields there - is that guys get away with it. They don’t care; they don’t give excuses, and they certainly don’t get embarrassed. But us girls, oh no – we’d rather die a slow and terrible death - or kill someone - than fart out loud in public or, for most of us, around a boyfriend. (I will never be okay with opening doing this with a boyfriend, and for those of you who think it’s a part of being comfortable with someone, I will argue you to the death).

So the whole 75 minute class, I'm thinking about how freaking.embarrassing it'd be to fart. But yoga forces you to bend and contort your body, often times holding and squeezing muscles with your butt high in the air. There’s times when it’s all I can do to prevent a slip. It’s stressing me out! I tell yeah, I join yoga to ease my mind from the stresses of life, and I spend the whole time stressing about farting. I need a stress-reliever from yoga. Or from farting.

Namaste.

Currently Feeling: Super relieved to have Mexico figured out.
Currently Anticipating: A crock pot dinner tonight with Bestie Amanda.
Currently Loving: Soy crisps with Laughing Cow cheese.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Hi there. New reader, love your blog. :)

I have the same issue with yoga! I've been doing a pretty fast-paced class, and last week during a particularly strenuous warrior series my foot slid on my mat making a HUGE farting noise. People looked at me and laughed, and I'm pretty sure much of them thought I did it. One guy even said to me on the way out "don't worry, happens to everyone." So since everyone in class already thinks I'm the fart-girl, I may just not hold it in next time!

:) Wendy

Jeanna said...

Hi Wendy! Thanks for coming out of the blogwork. ;)

That is SO embarrassing - especially since you didn't even do it! But you're right, it could be sort of freeing for you to just not care...

Anonymous said...

Haha, now I'm going to be caught up in thinking about this...

On a side note, I'm gonna have to try the soy crisps with my Laughing Cow -- that sounds delicious!

Jeanna said...

It's super good - I'm always looking for new things to pair with Laughing Cow... I buy the seasalt Soy Crisps from Safeway's Eating Right brand, and it's only like 60 calories for one wedge and six crisps - a great snack when I need something salty!

Meghan Van Horn said...

I think you would appreciate this article

http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/articletkt.aspx?cp-documentid=18069488&gt1=32023

...and I totally agree with you about not farting in front of your significant other. Keep the romance alive people!

P.S. Love your blog. It's very entertaining!

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.