Monday, December 22, 2008

I'm dreaming of a NON white Christmas

Okay, okay, I don’t really need to say it – but Seattle is covered in snow; it’s totally nutso. Apparently we’re drowning in the worst sea of white since 1998. The headlines shout “Worst Snowstorm in 10 Years!” but I don’t remember anything like this when I was 16… I have no memory whatsoever of there ever being this much snow in Seattle. It’s crazy.

I know that those reading in outlying cities probably think we’re total pansies. But cut us some slack – we’re not used to this! We’re equipped with extra strength windshield wipers, galoshes, extra large umbrellas and waterproof jackets, but all for the RAIN not a foot of SNOW.

Usually, I don't mind the snow – when I choose to travel to it in the mountains to snowboard. I don’t love to live my every day life in it. Everything that last couple days has been f@*ked. The buses aren’t running. It takes me an hour to get to work, and this morning I trudged a mile to a main bus stop in my neighborhood, to wait with 50+ other people. When a bus finally pulled up, it was packed and only had room for five people… And driving is out of the question. My little red VW beetle is buried in the back parking lot of my building, and the only exit route is down a huge iced hill with stranded SUVs. You think my car’s going to make it if their car didn’t?! Plus, my tires are bald. I’m terrible at car maintenance unless my dad sits me down and reams me for an hour about the importance of simple procedures such as changing my oil or buying new tires… then eventually gives up, does it for me and then adds it to my long running list of IOUs. So yeah, bald tires dad. Help?

The worst part about it – I’ve had so many fun social engagements canceled the last couple days because no one can drive anywhere… a Christmas party with friends from San Fran who I never get to see, decorating the Christmas tree with my family, a college reunion party with a friend who’s only in town for a week. Insult to injury, my boyfriend lives 30 minutes (no traffic, driving 70mph) outside of Seattle. So yeah, that’s keeping us apart. I’m literally going stark raving mad. If I don’t get OUT. of. the. HOUSE. tonight and do some freakin’ drinking and socializing, or at least get a piece of ass, then you might as well count this as my last blog entry because I’ll be spending the rest of the year down the bunny hole with Alice and the White Rabbit.

Eff you snow.

Currently Feeling: Like I don’t really need two weeks of vacation after all this time snowed in, watching TV and reading.
Currently Anticipating: CHRISTMAS!
Currently Reading: “Saving Fish From Drowning” by Amy Tan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.