Monday, March 19, 2007

I'm Blirishsouthican

As an American, I can list a number of reasons why I’m embarrassed to be a citizen of this country. Call me spoiled or even ungrateful, but I’m not “Proud to be an American.” Honestly, our President, politics, percentage of overweight people, contribution to the fast food pandemic, prevalence of religious right-wing wack jobs, and general lack of knowledge of worldwide issues are just a few of the reasons that, more often than not, I’m utterly embarrassed to be an American.

However, I do enjoy living in a country that is a melting pot of cultures and backgrounds. I’m a mutt. I’m not 100 percent of anything, or even 50 percent for that matter. My ancestors were from places all over the world. Therefore, I choose the cultural traditions that influence and shape my life and who I am. We all have a little bit of something in us. But, as the years pass, I find myself leaning toward and relating to a few more ethnicities and cultural backgrounds than others.

1. I’m a tried and true southern girl without the ignorant accent. I will drink sweet tea with every meal, and I crave grits, hushpuppies and gumbo. I love Johnny Cash, try to wear my hair as big and curly as possible, and I’ll even pee behind whatever bush, building or street corner is available.

2. I believe that I’m partially black. I have the butt to prove it. I also like to say, “fuck” and “bitches” a lot.

3. I’m most definitely Mexican. I will and can eat some form of Mexican food for every meal of the day and never get sick of it. Plus, I’ve been known to fit more than five people at one time in a very small backseat.

4. I’m Irish. Don’t kiss me for it. Just know that I can and will drink all day, especially to commemorate the death of my dear great, great, uncle St. Patrick. God rest his soul. Only true Irish women would wake up after four hours of sleep to get dressed and head to a bar. Or listen to loud bagpipes, fiddles and banjos for six+ hours, dance the Irish jig in the middle of a crowded bar without giving a damn about what other people think, model my clothes after the Irish flag—green shirt, white pants, and orange shoes—and play Quarters at a table for hours on end for the sake of doing anything besides leaving the bar.



So, I’ve figured that I’m Blirishsouthican. Now that St. Patick’s Day is passed, I’m counting the hours down until the next celebration of my people—Cinco de Mayo!

Currently Feeling: Less than excited for South Beach dinner tonight, but super excited for belly dancing.
Currently Anticipating: One day again encountering the gem I ran across on Friday night.
Currently Listing To: The CDs I recently burned of KEXP music. They’re so good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god! I'm totally black too! I say "fuck" and "bitch" pretty much every other word.

Whack homey!

Jeanna said...

Oh you did not just call my weave whack! Girl, you betta check yoself.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.