I’m almost too embarrassed to talk about it. But then I figure, nah, why not be open and honest? Hell, I am about everything else.
I’ve previously written about the possibility of dating someone from the Internet, but up until now, I’ve never actually done it. I was just sort of tossing the idea around in my head. It can’t be worse than trying to hit it off with a drunken agro male at a bar, right? However, I’ve always felt that all these negative connotations come along with it. I feel like I look sort of pathetic for doing it. I mean, it’s how old widowed people meet their second life partners, right? Not 20-somethings who still have tons of fun, intelligence, bone and muscle use, and perky tits left in them, right?
I’ve been really tempted to lie each time one of my friends or acquaintances asks me where I met the young gentleman who I went on a date with last night. Couple times I’ve told the truth, couple times I’ve come up with a little white lie or skirted around the truth, and a couple times I just flat-out made a story up. But, I’m the world’s most terrible liar and it makes me feel guilty and sketchy afterward. So, while I’m a little embarrassed about it, there’s nothing like just putting the truth out there on the Internet for all to see and read.
Long story short, I met *Internet Boyfriend* on The Stranger’s Lovelab. For those of you who haven’t checked it out, it’s endlessly entertaining to read people’s profiles. Especially if you’re looking for something to entertain you while at work. The Stranger strives to be a very witty and edgy paper, so of course their dating site is witty and edgy. Instead of “What do you like to do in your spare time?” the site hosts questions such as, “What songs would be on the soundtrack of your life?” "I consider myself an open-minded person, but my deal breakers are…” and “The last time I made an ass out of myself, I…” And of course, everyone in Seattle is witty and edgy, especially if you live on Capitol Hill. Because how could you not be witty and edgy if you wear skinny jeans and carry a messenger bag? And witty and edgy people try to portray how witty and edgy they are in their profiles. So, it’s pretty entertaining.
Well, I ran across Internet Boyfriend while reading the profiles for fun, and I thought he was hot, hot, hot. Completely someone I would pick out of a crowd. So my type it’s almost scary. So I sent him a message. Of course, you have to pay to send messages. Here I am admitting to the whole world that I’ve paid for someone to date me. What’s next? I can’t wait to find out…
Internet Boyfriend and I have now been casually messaging back and forth since the early part of December. He was on a trip in Asia for the whole month of December and would send me his travel stories. Finally, he wanted to get together sometime this weekend, so we agreed on Sunday evening. Now, if you think blind dates are bad, try setting yourself up for a blind date without the okay or approval from a friend. Just blindly meeting up with someone who you have no idea is going to be a super freak, creepy, stupid, have an extra leg, or look like Quasimodo on crack. One million and one things were racing through my mind all day Sunday…what if we have nothing to talk about, what if he doesn’t look anything like his pictures, what if he doesn’t think I look anything like my pictures, what if he’s weird, and I’m stuck talking to a complete weirdo, what if he roofies me, what if, what if, what if…
But it went great. It was actually one of the best dates I’ve ever been on. He looked just like his pictures. He was charming, nice, adorable, intelligent, a wonderful conversationalist, easy-going, we had a good amount of things in common, and we like to do the same things. I’m not sure if he approved as much as I did, but he promised to fill me in on all the details after his trip to Vegas this next weekend, so I suppose that’s somewhat promising. Now, let me analyze why I think this worked out so well: when finding someone on the Internet, you’re finding someone who is looking for the exact same thing you are. Timing isn’t such a huge factor, they’re not trying to fuck around or screw someone over. For the most part, people who sign up to Internet date, are ready to find someone special. Furthermore, you can read all about the person before you contact them, so you know if you guys will have enough in common to get along. ie: I run far away from any man who admits he’s a huge Star Wars fan and likes to hunt. I also pay close attention to what their political leanings and religious views are because I’m very particular about how I feel.
So there you have it. Straight from the crazy 20-something’s mouth. Internet dating is not such a weird and creepy thing. It actually makes more sense than picking someone up at a bar. It’s less random and less risky. So, I want all of you to go out there and do it! Sign yourself up. Peruse the men on Lovelab. What do you have to lose? You couldn’t look any more crazy than I do. Besides, it’s always better to have two people on the boat than one. So, jump on!
Currently Feeling: Hopped up on caffeine. I’m trying to tie myself over till I can get home and make dinner.
Currently Anticipating: My birthday party this weekend, I can’t wait!!









6 comments:
Well I dont know if you know this tidbit of my life but before Dan I too (and Davie) got into the blind dates via LoveLab:) Some were nice but we didnt click (and you know Dave's story) but did you know that one of Dave's friends has been with her Stranger hook up for like two years!
Paolo,
What does, "Wow" mean? Are you trying to make me feel stupid? You sure have become quite the mean commenter lately. I might have to start moderating you.
Brittany,
Thanks for being so supportive. While it's a bit weird, most of my friends have cheered me on. I guess we know what category that puts Paolo in.
Luv,
Je
Yay! You deserve good things.
My "wow" had multiple meanings, but few of those meanings are negative in nature. I'm intrigued by this dating venture.
"Wow" can be interpreted in about 14 different ways:
1. Wow. I can't believe you'd ever do this.
2. Wow. You're more needy than I ever expected.
3. Wow. I thought the last guy was bad.
4. Wow. I think you're awesome for taking this chance.
5. Wow. Who knew this could turn out so well.
6. Wow. I was hoping to be the next guy to go on a date with you.
7. Wow. This changes all misconceived perceptions I've had about you.
8. Wow. I want to sign up for Internet dating now.
9. Wow. I'm intrigued. (Apparently what you meant.)
10. Wow. You really can't write about anything else besides dating and drinking, and this proves it.
11. Wow. I'm going to fill out a Stranger Lovelab profile immediately.
12. Wow. If only I had the guts and balls that you have.
13. Wow. I’ll be the first to attend your wedding.
14. Wow. Get a life.
Please keep in mind the "lost in translation" tendencies of Internet commenting.
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.