Last night I ventured down to Hula Hula, a “newer” bar on lower Queen Anne. Hula Hula was previously home to Watertown, a bar that I never patronized, and well actually stayed far, far away from. More than one person told me about the “coke bar” reputation about Watertown. And, well, that’s just simply not my scene at all. Terrible rumor to be going around. Tragic, really. Wonder if it had anything to do with it going out of business?Anyway, Hula Hula replaced Watertown and opened its doors to Seattleites on December 7th. Located next to Tini Bigs, a martini bar, Hula Hula is apparently operated by the same owners of Tini Bigs. How anyone is lucky enough to have bar real estate right next door to each other in a very expensive part of town, I’ll never figure out. Some people have all the luck. But perhaps for these entrepreneurs, luck has nothing to do with it. I’ve always enjoyed the atmosphere and menu at Tini Bigs, and after stepping into Hula Hula last night, I realized that these guys have a good thing going.
It’s always fun to have a new scene or a new atmosphere to change up the usual drinking scene. Hula Hula is by far one of the more original bars in Seattle. I can’t think of any other place that can compete with the original menu or the kitschy decorations. You can tell some thought went into the “Tiki” theme, from the velvet Hawaiian scene on the back wall, the bamboo roof, the painted hibiscus flowers on the stools, and the genuine puffer fish lamps hanging above the bar. (My personal favorite.) They had a very hefty cocktail menu too. Size and content. I was impressed with the two drinks that sounded like I could take a swim in them—the Trick’s Curvy Scurvy Bowl (for two people, made with Red Wine, granny smith apples, oranges, limes, and a touch of cinnamon, $12) and the Volcano Bowl (two people maximum, bartender’s choice, $22) Both of those sound like they could get me nice and scurvy. Or drunk. Arrgh! As far as the rest of the drink menu, I scanned the super sweet beach-type mixtures and could only think of the hangover I’d have the next day while consuming so much sugar. If sugar isn’t your forte either, Hula Hula has $4 wells and $2 PBRs everyday. AND, Hula Hula offers an $8 pupu menu till midnight. While $8 seems a bit steep compared to other Happy Hour options throughout Seattle, I checked out the menu, and it isn’t just crappy bar food. Some of the fancy choices include Macadamia Nut-Encrusted Pan-Seared Ahi Tuna, Coconut Macadamia Chicken Wings with Wasabi Teriyaki Dipping Sauce and Dungeness Crab Cakes topped with a Wasabi Remoulade. The menu even has a “Hawaiian Hotdog,” which apparently is sushi rice and Spam wrapped with Nori. Now, I’ve heard that Spam is popular in Hawaii, but I’ve actually never had the stuff. Could be worth looking into trying…I’m always down for an adventure, and Hula Hula provided just the little adventure I needed for a mundane Monday night.


Currently Feeling: Bored of phase one South Beach. I’m ready to enter phase two and eat something else besides eggs for breakfast and chicken for dinner and hard-boiled eggs for a snack. Although, I have laid out some awesome seasoned salmon from Trader Joe’s for dinner tonight. AND, the results are always more than worth it. Hopefully I’ll look nice and hot in my new white/silver birthday attire!
Currently Anticipating: Actually attending a book club meeting tonight where I’ve read a good part of the book, and it isn’t so crappy!









6 comments:
Sweet, thanks for the review, I've been wanting to check that out. Have you been to Luau by Greenlake? It's kinda similar, but more restaurant oriented I think. That space has always had crap bars in it... I remember the two before the Watertown!
I have been to The Luau. It's very similar, but Hula Hula is way over the top, while The Luau just brushes on the edge of being a tiki bar. Good place as well, though. I had their noodle bowl one time at 1:30 am, and I think it saved me from potential disastrous circumstances.
Nice. Is this a review for the Peeps?
Mmm. I've catered it toward the Seattle Web site by taking out some of the personal stuff. It's a bit different, but I did double post! ;)
This place looks dreamy!!!! I want to go there this weekend. How early does it open?
Kelly
Not sure what time it opens, but we're talking about going there Saturday night after the hockey game we're going to...
You in?
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.