I’m about to do something sacrilegious to my beliefs—I’m going to start listening to audio books on tape. Books on tape are something Larisa has been raving about for a while now. Being the book snob that I am, I kinda laughed at listening to books rather than actually reading them. However, I’m going to jump on the bandwagon like I’ve done with most other things in my life that I previously thought were weird (read: drugs, fad dieting, religious corporations, roll playing).
I checked out buying some books on tape off of iTunes yesterday, and GOOD GOD, they’re more freakin expensive then buying the damn hardcopy version of the book. How is this possible? Some of the popular classics, such as Middlesex, are 30 bucks a pop. Speaking of sacrilegious…
However, Tre was nice enough to email me a link this morning that he has been using—LearnOutLoud.com—a Web site that offers a lot of educational, free audio books. While a lot of them are boring, (read: Biography of Benjamin Franklin, Airline Safety and the Electoral College, and the 250th Anniversary of Mozart’s Birth), I still managed to find some promising titles that I’ve actually downloaded and plan on listening to:
Ten Days in a Madhouse: In 1887, Nellie Bly, one of the first female newspaper reports (yeah journalism), feigned insanity to study the inner workings of insane asylums. What she found—mistreatment of patients—resulted in asylums receiving more money for patient treatment and alterating their practices.
Prison Diaries: An unprecedented, first-person look at life inside penitentiary walls through the intense radio series, Prison Diaries. Five inmates, four correctional officers and a judge were given tape recorders. They kept audio journals and recorded the sounds and scenes of everyday life behind bars: shakedowns, roll call, family visits, and quiet moments late at night inside a cell.
*BING* You may now turn the page.
Currently Feeling: A little stressed about getting my Halloween costume before Friday.
Currently Anticipating: Halloween, Halloween, Halloween. It’s all I can think about. I LOVE it!
Currently Loving: My sexy tall black pirate boots that lace up the sides with red satin ribbon. So hot.









2 comments:
Wait until you see my Tiger Lily costume. I just finished sewing it up last night and it is TRICKED...Now all I need are shoes.
I might have actually just found an excuse for wearing...yes it's true..Uggs. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Love - KELLY
That is the only Get Out of Jail Free card I'll ever give you for wearing Uggs. Ewww.
Saturday is going to be sooo fun...
Currently, two parties and later, a bar.
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.