Monday, September 25, 2006

Oktoberfest 2006

I came. I saw. I conquered Oktoberfest.
Two days of drunken debauchery.
It’s amazing how much those little 4oz. plastic mugs of barley and hops can affect you.

Friday I headed to Oktoberfest with The B Squad (as Matt so eloquently called us)—Haley, Larisa, Sarah, Kelly and myself. We arrived around 8:30, just in time to catch Ben and Justin’s band, Dig the Particulars playing on the Adobe main stage. The five of us started out with Pear and Raspberry Cider, and then moved on to the hard stuff—Scuttlebutt’s Lager with 7.4 percent alcohol content. More bang for my buck! At first we were all a little concerned that 10 tickets wouldn’t carry us as far as we wanted to go, but as 10:30 rolled around, we had found some free tickets and managed to score some free tastes, and we were all feeling pretty good. We tried to meet up with Matt at Brouwer’s, where he was drinking with Tre and Tre’s friend Kyle. Fremont was swarming with beer lovers, and the line outside the bar was not moving. Luckily Matt and company decided to change their location, and the five of us went along for the ride. (Those of you who were with me know the real reason, thanks ladies!) We ended our night at The Old Peculiar in Ballard where we played darts and pool, Sarah passed out cold on the pinball machine and our two pitchers of beer were left untouched as the effects of the evening caught up with us.



Saturday I woke up way too bright and early and went to breakfast at Peso’s with Larisa, Tre and Kyle. Those of you who say there’s no better cure for a hangover than more alcohol in the morning are freaking crazy. The Bloody Mary I had with my breakfast burrito did little to cure the pounding my head was enduring. Larisa and I made a quick trip to Capital Hill to try some Halloween costumes on before I finally made it home around 3 p.m. and crawled up on my couch for some much needed rest and relaxation. Not in the cards. My phone rang as soon as I had curled up. It was Tre. His friend Kyle, who lives in Kent and was staying on Tre’s floor, didn’t have anything to do all day and wanted to go to Oktoberfest with Larisa and I. Our plans were to attend later in the evening, but being the sucker that I am, I told Kyle that I wouldn’t be opposed to going early with him and meeting up with my friends later. After barely a wink of sleep, Kyle picked me up, and the two of us started Oktoberfest: Round Two at 7 p.m. Kyle and I had just met the night before, but it wasn’t long before the two of us were best friends. (I guess tons of beer will allow you to bond with just about anyone.) We soon discovered the most effective process—get a beer, then stand right back in line drinking the beer. That way, when you get back to the front, you have a constant stream of beer in your glass. We did this repeatedly in the Blue Moon line. Twenty tickets later, we finally met up with Matt and Tre and walked to George and the Dragon. Here, I managed to score some pretty sweet “beer goggle” sunglasses (sunglasses in the shape of beer mugs that had yellow lenses). Noah and Nick soon joined our debauchery and the five boys and me, (I felt so popular), headed down to Ballard’s Best Burgers and Brew to finish off the night. Here, Kyle and I took drunken photo booth photos, Matt gave himself a concussion from hitting his head on the table when he fell over, and a huge two-car hit and run accident happened right outside the bar. Those are about the extent of my memories.

Needless to say, Oktoberfest was a grand ole time, and I drank to commemorate my German heritage. Even if it did take me all day Sunday to recuperate, it was worth it. I spent Friday night with my amazing girlfriends, reconnected with the bearded lover, and made a new best friend. I’d say that was a pretty successful weekend indeed.



Currently Feeling: Good things come to those who wait.
Currently Loving: The weather last weekend and the weather report this week. Yippee! A little bit more sun…
Currently Anticipating: Halloween. Halloween. Halloween.

3 comments:

Sarah Alway said...

NEXT TO the pinball machine, not on it. Get your facts straight. Bad journalist. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I so want to see the photo booth pics. Nice picture of Sarah, heh.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that picture of Sarah is CLASSIC! Love it! Glad you guys had fun... almost made it down Saturday night. Looks like I missed out.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.