Thursday, May 18, 2006

Who Ever Thought I'd Be a Domestic Goddess?

Sometimes I watch Martha Stewart’s talk show. I’ll admit it. I’ve changed so much in the last three years, I hardly recognize myself in the mirror each morning (I swear, it’s not the ten pounds.) Not only have I grown an infatuation with sushi, started dating older men, and began to shave my legs (oops, did I write that out loud?), but now I’ve joined the ranks of domesticated women—I’ve started cooking. I think my mom still gets a little lightheaded each time she hears this, but it’s true. Moving out on my own and having the means to buy groceries and cook for myself, not to mention the nutritional value of cooking healthy, has me going as far as researching recipes online and reading people’s “Cookbook Critic” blogs. I’ll even admit to you that sometimes I read my cookbooks and mark the pages of recipes I want to try with pink sticky notes while sitting with my feet up on the coffee table, watching tv. Some would call this my “Super Single Behavior.” So far I’ve managed to create an excellent recipe for curry, cook an awesome meatball casserole, prepare chicken in a number of different ways that actually taste good, and bake perfect Snickerdoodles and a Pineapple-Mango Upside-Down Cake. And I can’t stop. I love making things for people to eat and getting compliments on it. It’s almost as satisfactory as retail therapy.

So, while watching Martha Stewart’s show a couple weeks ago about excellent appetizers, I got the idea to have an appetizer and wine party at my house for the season finale of America’s Next Top Model. Each week, I get together with a group of girls to watch what is equivalent to the best show in the world. Sometimes we trade-off making dinners, but the menu was starting to get a little short and boring. i.e.: tacos, spaghetti, spaghetti, pasta, tacos. I’ve become uninterested in stuffing myself, so I thought an array of appetizers for dinner would be a light and fun way to spend the last night of our weekly reality-TV gatherings. Everyone took to the idea right away, and what progressed was an awesome evening of nibbling and sipping. I’m definitely going to do it again. Spread out on my kitchen counter were platters containing stuffed tomatoes, homemade hummus and pita chips and barbequed pork, courtesy of me; pasta salad from Sarah; a cheese and cracker assortment thanks to Hannah; bruschetta from Shannon and a veggie tray from Lacey. Days like these are exactly how I pictured life in my twenty-somethings…rushing to prepare food for my girlfriends, getting slightly giggly over wine, gossiping about our favorite TV show, cleaning up my apartment after the party was over, falling soundly asleep in my bed. (well, maybe my fantasies included a guy in my bed, but hey, I’m working on it!) The only bump in the evening was when Lacey said, “Thanks Martha Stewart,” and I thought she was referring to me. I’m not ready to be called Martha Stewart! I’m still young and vibrant, sometimes I overcook my meat and burn the garlic bread…while I love dabbling in domesticity, I’m sure as hell not any Martha Stewart. Lacey was actually thanking Martha Stewart for the appetizer idea, not referring to me as Martha Stewart. Phew. That was a close one.

So, here I am. Enjoying my single life in my twenties. Living like I’m on Sex and the City. And even trying my hand at being a domestic goddess—watching myself turn into the woman my mom wanted, but I’d never thought I’d be. Isn't it interesting how things turn out?

Stuffed Tomatoes

Perfect for a light dinner or an appetizer

1 10oz. Can of white chicken
1/3 c. of mayonnaise
5 green onions, chopped
1 glove of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 large tomatoes (dinner) or 8-10 Roma tomatoes (appetizer)
Shredded mozzarella cheese

Cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the insides, creating a shell to put the chicken salad mixture in. Set aside. Drain the chicken and mix it with the mayonnaise, chopped green onions and minced garlic. Salt and pepper the mixture to taste. Fill the tomato halves with the chicken salad. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and broil for 3-5 min until cheese is golden brown. To prevent the tomatoes from tipping over, it’s best to bake them in muffin tins.

2 comments:

Sarah Alway said...

Yes, the appetizer party was definitely a fabulous idea... too bad ANTM is over now! =(

ADeskJockey said...

The party was great. We should totally have more of those... see you at the gym my dear!! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.