Last night I spent some time imbibing with a few good friends of mine. For the last three weeks I’ve enforced a strict “No Week-Time Drinking” rule, however, I can’t resist the temptation when everyone is planning on going out. I don’t want to miss out on the action! We gathered the troops and ventured down to Viceroy in Belltown, a swanky, smooth bar with dim lighting, low brown leather couches in clusters and mirrors everywhere. It’s very New York city, and a great low-key bar to gather at with friends. We were sitting outside on the patio, basking in the warmth, (of the heat lamp that is. I’m not that delusional), when all of the sudden I developed a small case of the hiccups. I suppose I might have been sipping my cocktail a little too fast, perhaps it was from the excitement of drinking on a Thursday! Whatever the case, it of course sparked a bevy of opinions on hiccup cures. I don’t know why, but I’m endlessly fascinated with this topic. Numerous times I have discussed creating a small bathroom book or gift book with hiccup cures (You know, the kind that mothers keep in a basket on the back of the toilet or on the coffee table in the living room. Well, at least my mother does.) I think it would be fascinating to do a mini research project and try to find all the cures for hiccups possible. What if they are different around the world? And how do you say hiccup in ten different languages?Last night, Adam came up with “Take a pint glass, close your eyes, plug your ears and try to drink it as fast as possible with a straw.” Or something along those lines. Amanda said her grandpa used to waive a $50 bill in front of her face and told her that if she hiccupped again, she’d get it. She said she never ever hiccupped to win the $50. Yet another cure I have never heard. My favorite to this day is when I had the hiccups and someone asked me, “When was the last time you’ve seen a cow?” I thought and thought about it. When was the last time I’d seen a cow? I don't think I could even answer that now. By the time I’d finished thinking about it, my hiccups were gone. Genius. I was clueless that it was a cure at the time, and I guess that’s how it works. It's useless if you’ve already heard it.
I’m sure as you're reading this, you’re thinking of the cure-all hiccup solution that you harbor. Everyone has one. What is yours?
Currently Feeling: Tired. I’m finally going to say it, “I’m too old to go out during the weekdays. I’m just not as young as I used to be.”
Currently Regretting: Last night and my lunch today. FUCK!
Currently Anticipating: Happy Hour at Ray’s Boathouse with Vanessa, Angela, Larisa and Sarah.









3 comments:
eat a heaping teaspoon of peanut butter or sugar:) to get rid hiccups
hey this is sarah's friend Brooke, in alabama.. I just saw a cow like two weeks ago! omg! i live in alabama, come on! haha. the link to your page was on her page, and i'm bored at work.. soo.. this was very funny though. haha
Brooke,
No worries! I've heard a lot about you from Sarah. Look forward to meeting you someday. If you really want to read my ramblings (it's sort of like an online journal for good friends) then be my guest. I know exactly what it's like to be bored at work and trolling random internet pages. =)
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.