Last week, I spent a considerable amount of time with one of my guy friends, partying away his recent sorrows over the break-up with his live-in girlfriend of three years. I needed someone to entertain me; he needed a shoulder to cry on. We were a perfect match.
Sometimes, it seems really hard to be a guy. They bottle everything up, and rarely have the outlet that girls have - a constant shoulder to cry on, the invite to always talk about relationships, love, sex, fights, break-ups and make-ups. When I have relationship problems, I usually just bounce from friend to friend, talking about what bothers me. Each girl friend makes me feel better in a different way and tells me the things I need to hear, until I can feel whole again. Guys don't always have that support system.
So I nodded, asked questions when I needed to and mostly just let him talk. Some of the things he was saying hit home in a huge way. Break-ups are so painful. No matter if you're male, female, tall, vertically challenged, pretty or beat with an ugly stick. It's almost overwhelming when you're in the midst of a relationship - even if it feels so far away from the breaking point - it's scary to think about being there again. I guess it's a leap we all take by giving our heart to someone.
"It's like we're total strangers," he said.
I groaned. "That is the.worst," I responded. And boy did I mean it. Is there anything crappier than feeling like the person you've spent 900 plus days with feels like a stranger on the street? The person who has listened to you vent over coworkers, made you waffles in the morning before you're even half awake, given you butterfly kisses and shared inside jokes with you that no one would ever understand. The person who is half of your happiest memories, your biggest laughter, the photos that make you smile, the vacations that make you reminisce. Someone you've shared your ups and downs with - death of family members and family pets or graduations and promotions at work. And then POOF. Something happens when you break up, and you're left mumbling responses that don't mean anything, avoiding each other, keeping secrets, averting eyes and treating each other like you're not two people in the world who know each other best.
It's just so sad. And as hard as it is to listen to, and as much as it dredges up a million painful feelings in my past, I'd do it 100 times over for anyone of my friends. Sometimes, we all need someone who we can relate to or a shoulder to cry on.
"Thank you. I just wanted to let you know that our friendship means a lot to me," he sent the next day in an e-mail.
Tell me that doesn't make it all worth it.
Currently Feeling: Short on time even though I'm not working?! I need to prioritize my days better.
Currently Anticipating: Attempt number two at date night for The Hangover tomorrow.
Currently Loving: Scrambles in the A.M. with chives, cheese, ham and mushrooms, and a side of cottage cheese and peaches. So healthy and yummy!
Monday, June 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









8 comments:
He's lucky to have you. We all are.
Be good to the other one, too, if he needs it.
And thanks for being there for me last week.
You're an amazing friend, woman, and person.
Love love.
You sound like a good friend. And yeah, it is scary being so vulnerable with someone else. At any moment you could be taken advantage of and hurt. It is a risk, but well worth it.
That email was the perfect response. We all need friends we can really lean on, but often we don't tell them enough how much they really mean to us.
I love that you spent good quality time with a friend in need. It revives my belief that there are good friends out there just as I am one.
And when you need him, I'm sure he'd be there for you.
That's beautiful.
Yes, I just said beautiful. Oy. You make me a girl.
this is so awesome. it's really powerful that you could be there for him and help him (and make him feel safe) through this. it's always hard and having someone there to talk to, even if nothing but and ear and shoulder are provided in return, is enough.
you are such a good friend.
At least you were there to soften the blow... there's nothing worse than going through that "Stranger" phase and not having a familiar face around to depend on. You're a good egg, chica.
I think Jon from Jon & Kate Plus 8 needs to talk to you, too.
hi! thanks for stopping by my blog - and yeah, smoking porn guy is definitely off the potential boyfriend list! insane. i can already tell i'm going to like your blog a lot! keep up the good posts :)
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.