This past weekend, the BF and I combined piles of our junk (me from moving out, him from the divorce and general junk collecting since he owns a house and has more space than he knows what to do with. I guess this equals a lot of junk purchasing) and threw a garage sale. This is my first experience in selling my crap for others' purchase.
I started out with good ole fashioned advertising - a Craigslist post and some neon signs that a college girl friend helped me decorate. She happens to be unemployed too, so we spent last Tuesday afternoon, coloring the signs and seriously mapping out our route for where they'd be hung. I bet we never would have guessed that four years after college, decorating garage sale signs while unemployed would be the highlight of our week. Oh how I love you, Recession.
Saturday morning the BF and I got up at a ungodly Saturday morning hour, after six hours of sleep, to throw our junk out in his driveway. I'll let you in on a little secret - even if you put in bold and CAPS, "No early birds," there's always going to be some jack ass that shows up at 7:30 a.m. asking if they're too early. And then commences the mayhem...I was absolutely amazed at what people will buy. "One person's junk is another's treasure" couldn't be more true. The items of value that I thought would actually sell - nice area rugs, a standing lamp, a snowboard and quality bar stools - remained unsold. But I got rid of a lot of stuff I thought I'd just throw out there for shits and giggles, but would never sell... half-used lotion bottles, ugly jewelry my grandmother bought me, old clothes that I thought weren't even worth giving to the Goodwill (two pairs of gauchos that someone actually bought. Yuck!), a pink mosaic Kleenex holder, a brown juice pitcher my mom gave me for college that must have been from the 80s, a computer bag with World Vision's huge logo on the front that I received for free when I worked there, a kinda dingy white bathroom towel, a plastic paper filer, a puff paint butterfly belt I bought at a clothing boutique five years ago and thought was cute at the time... All sold. Some guy jumped out of his car and ran breakneck speed to pick up my crappy iron for $1 that has burned junk on it so every time you iron, it leaves black goo on your clothes. Lucky him.
Seriously... who would have thought I could sell this crap? The BF thought it was so fun to make money off the junk you just kinda have lying around, that nearly the whole time we were supposed to be sitting out there together, he was going through cupboards and pantries, trying to find additional items to sell. I joked that our garage sale was like Kmart - new blue light specials added throughout the day!
And I won't even go into the types of people who came and went... some nice little old European lady was as sweet as can be and kept piling stuff up on the table for purchase. I thought I was going to make a gold mine off her until she turned into the Gestapo and started halving all my prices, combining everything and saying, "All this - $4." I just shrugged and let her make off with my gold teeth. (Bad joke, bad joke).
After it was all said and done, I made $100 off my junk and then turned around and posted the items that are actually of value on Craigslist. Although some have argued that $100 isn't really worth my time, I'd say that the entertainment value alone was worth it. The $100 is just an added bonus.
Have you ever found something you deemed
totally amazing at someone'sjunk garage sale?
totally amazing at someone's
Currently Feeling: Excited for my first Social Media Club Seattle meet-up tomorrow!
Currently Anticipating: Moshi Moshi all-night happy hour tonight with a big group of people.
Currently Hating: Scales. But I bought one anyway.









5 comments:
Hah hah. Sounds like a fun day. The only time I had a garage sale was when I was like twelve and my mom made me sell all of my beanie babies, barbies, and dolls. Boy do I regret selling that stuff. A little chunk of my childhood is gone now and I will never get it back! Plus, 80's toys are so in right now.
The best things I got from garage sales were probably a foldable bike, a perfect condition Beatles White Album (so rare), and a complete set of china that is like 100 years old. I guess you are supposed to act uninterested but I was all "omg, seriously?" lol.
i love garage sales. both the selling and the browsing/buying. but just like caitlin, i never liked when i had to sell my own stuff, like my hundreds of beanie babies...sigh. it's not like i have anything to do with them, much less space to store them, and it would just be weird to have them all lined up in my bedroom or living room, but still. the sentimental value!
i can't remember buying anything particularly useful at a garage sale, i just know i liked looking and touching and trying to figure out why anybody would buy half of the stuff there in the first place. it's like walking through someone else's previous life that they finally decided to shed.
I love it! I'm preparing to have a fire sale this summer - that's right, all the furniture, all the junk - to prep for moving back into the parents' casa (eek).
I recently had some really good finds at an Estate Sale down the street from the 'rents house - including a funky 60's retro glass pitcher and matching glasses with these cut sunbursts on them for $4! I love garage sales. :)
My friend and I are having a garage sale in a few weeks. I'm having a hard time deciding what's worthy but after hearing your post I'll just throw in anything I don't want anymore. Make an offer!
And no, I've never found anything really good at a garage sale.
I find old cameras at yard sales all the time! They're always really cheap because the person usually doesn't know if it works or not ... but it always does!
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.