Surprisingly, I had more fun than I ever thought I would. My Dolphin Sister set up an art project that we were able to help out with - glitter glue, markers and hot-gluing feathers, seashells, pipe cleaners, yarn and more. This was right up my alley - I don't think I've ever told you that I used to want to be an art teacher. Yep. If you look in my high school yearbook, it's the career I have underneath my name. I abandoned that idea when I realized in NO WAY did I want to teach angsty junior high and high school students, and you couldn't really teach art to kindergartners full time. Anyway, I have a SERIOUS crush on art supplies. When I was in the art department in college, I'd go to the student store and just browse the art supply aisles to see what I could blow money on. I don't think there's a person alive who doesn't love a good box of smudgy, bright-colored pastels!
Apparently bubble letters are all the rage these days - thank God I'm still with the times. Word got out I could do bubble letters, and I had every kid in the class, lining up for their name in bubble letters. I felt so popular!
Art supplies and bubble letters aside - what I enjoyed the most about the day was watching each individual child, their talent, their differences and the way their minds worked. I loved all the different ideas each one had for decorating their little book.
I loved the individuality - the kid who loved bike riding and wanted me to make a bike out of pipe cleaners for him (um, what?!), the little boy who was super excited because his teacher allowed him to rap and dance for 30 seconds, in which he played the air guitar and did a break dance (rap star in the making!), the smart little girl who pulled out a notebook of stories for us to read that she writes FOR FUN (that was totally me in elementary school).These children have their whole lives ahead of them. They can choose a million different paths. They can go to college, travel, paint, dance - they can BE anything they WANT.
The whole day was just a huge breath of fresh air. And dammit, they were cute. I hate it when I'm wrong.
Currently Feeling: Excited for some of the job opportunities that have been sent my way - online brand manager for a famous beer company? Yes please.
Currently Anticipating: Getting my hair did today. I broke down! Good thing my Bestie is a hair stylist.
Currently Wanting: To ditch the book I'm reading right now and move onto Firefly Lane. I've heard too many good things about it!









5 comments:
Kayla is the boys, right?
Ha. I joke.
But you're so artsy, I love it. Can you make me a "Katie=Awesome Blogger and I Love Her To An Unhealthy Amount" sign and send it to me?
Kthx!
How fun! I hope that little girl continues to write. Maybe she'll have a blog one day! :)
who knew i would desperately want to go back to the days of glitter, glue and construction paper?
Cuteness! And I'm also typically pleasantly surprised when kids annoy me less than I expect them to. :)
How fun! For a time, I thought I would be an art teacher, as well, but, like you, I realized that teaching art to angsty students wasn't for me. I would still consider being a photography teacher somewhere, but the need for that is slim to none.
I'm so happy that it was a fabulous day and that y'all had so much fun! This post makes me want to paint something, or at least make a party cup.
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.