Conveyor belt sushi is unbelievably terrible.Prior to my sushi-loving days of late, I'd get drug along for dinner at a conveyor belt sushi restaurant and everyone would exclaim, "Oh, it's so amazing!" Since this was before I could even stomach California rolls, I grabbed the orange plates with edamame, pot stickers and tempura. I was never really that impressed. It wasn't until I was introduced to sushi restaurants with lovely, detailed menus and options, did I really become a fan. And since I’m terribly spoiled with places like Chiso, Kisaku, Dragonfish and Wasabi Bistro in Seattle and Sam’s Sushi right down the street from my house, shying away from what I deemed the "fast food" of sushi proved to be effortless.
But last night I was in Redmond, searching for somewhere to eat before the evening showing of the new scary movie, The Strangers, and I was craving sushi. If you want to get rich quick, open a decent sushi place in Redmond. Apparently there’s only one conveyor belt sushi place and one buffet-style Japanese place, which rumor has it, features mediocre rolls. Since the conveyor belt sushi restaurant was right next to the theater, we opted to try it out, against our better judgment.
Oi vay.
Where do I begin?
The wait was terrible. People were standing all around the perimeter of the restaurant, and the empty spots weren’t being cleaned or sat till approximately 10 minutes or more after people left.
The service was terrible. My “refillable” ice tea was never refilled nor could we find anyone to help us or answer questions.
The general appearance was gross. The big pot of wasabi was crusted around the edge and dry, and there were crumbs, napkins, chopstick wrappers and plastic plate toppers all over the floor.
The sushi was S-I-C-K. There was no way to tell if something had been sitting on the conveyor belt all day or not. And a lot of it certainly looked like it had. The rolls could not be deciphered from the menu in front of us, nor did half of the menu ever make it to the belt. The whole time I was waiting for a tempura shrimp roll, a veggie roll, a house roll—something—to make an appearance. But all that ever circulated was California rolls, made with what looked like imitation crab coleslaw, and nigiri—various logs of white rice with slabs of fish lying on top. Then there were the rolls that scared me beyond belief—corn in some sort of white mayonnaisey sauce, stuffed in seaweed, and tuna salad stuffed in seaweed. Since when does sushi include food you'd find at a barbecue or ingredients you'd find sandwiched between two pieces of whole wheat?
“Fast food of sushi”—pshaw. That was being nice. I now deem conveyor belt sushi the sushi outlet store.
Currently Feeling: Hatred for the G.D. weather.
Currently Anticipating: This Monday being over. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
Currently Loving: These. I’m ordering them immediately.









7 comments:
feel ya sista. That place in Redmond is HORRIBLE. I did have sushi last night and FINALLY found my first good sushi restaurant on the Eastside. It's right in downtown Kirkland and they serve huge rolls and all the yummy stuff. We'll go soon next time you're on my side! ;)
Yeah, Mike said he'd been to that place a couple times, and it's really good. Unfortunately, we were looking for somewhere in Redmond, close to Bella Bottega cause we had one hour till a movie, and there isn't anything! So strange.
That place in ktown is pretty good. go during happy hour. I love conveyor belt sushi, it sounds like you are just luke warm on sushi in general and had a bad experience. I can show you the light. There are a few secret conveyor belt spots that I frequent that will rock your world.
Oh girl that sounds gross! I vote no on conveyor sushi! What did you think of the movie??
No. I'm not lukewarm on sushi at all. I think conveyor belt sushi is mediocre at best. I'd much rather have something that was personally made for me that I picked out, not passed around a circle for three hours. But, please prove me wrong. I should go to Blue C and try them out since I know they at least time how long things are sitting on there...
I could see some ups to conveyor belt sushi; I'm just not willing to guess and check, I suppose.
Rach Dizzle-- (Please don't read if concerned for SATC movie spoilers.)
I loved the movie the second time, and was a little disappointed the first time. I have some criticism. Like, some of the delivery of the lines seemed forceful and not as natural as the show. The line that Carrie says about how she doesn't know about nice kitchens cause she keep sweaters in her stove bugged me to no end cause it seemed so contrived. I also thought there was much less sex and humor, much more heartache.
Some conversations I've had with people about it bring up some good topics.
1. You cry a lot in this movie. I tried to list all the times I cried. (When Miranda and Steve met on the bridge, when Steve told Miranda he cheated, when Carrie hit Big with the flowers, when Carrie was depressed in bed, etc.) It's a tear jerker, which isn't much like the show where you're doing much more laughing and shrugging off of their problems than is probably humanly normal.
2. The humor is a little crude rather than witty. ie: The overgrown bush and pooping incident.
3. I'm sick of things NEVER working out for Carrie and Big. I wish stuff would have just gone right for once. I can only watch a man break a girl's heart so many times before I start to lose faith that he's "the one" or really meant for her. The last blumber of Big's was just frustrating. Especially since I feel like it could have been avoided one million times in the movie. Like if that little brat of Charlotte's wouldn't have stolen Carrie's cell phone. I mean really, can't they get their shit together after 10 years and three break ups? Annoying.
But, once I stopped analyzing and expecting, I simply loved it. Without being fake. I left the theater the second night just feeling really warm and fuzzy...
P.S. which one of you uncultured amatuers was using a fork?
GREAT topic to shed light upon. Conveyor sushi is terrible.
I think I just puked in my mouth a little bit thinking about it.
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.