Saturday, June 14, 2008

Death to Skinny Bitches

I recently cut aspartame out of my diet in a search to figure out some weird mood problems I’ve had lately, which I swear are diet-related.

I think most people think I’m crazy. Like they won’t say you’re crazy, but when you’re explaining your theory to them they’re nodding and looking at you with an expression that says, “Outside I’m nodding, but inside my head I think you’re totally nucking futs."

The fact that I’m a total hypochondriac doesn’t help my theory much. Last month it was cervical cancer and the month before that it was a hormone imbalance. So, when this month I claim, “Aspartame Poisoning!” I can understand why some people smile, nod and don’t believe a word I say.

BUT, I’m not crazy. I swear. There’s something more than a bit fishy with this whole aspartame crap. I had done some Internet research that led me to believe some of my mood concerns could most definitely be linked to aspartame. Then, I picked up the New York Times Bestseller, “Skinny Bitch” by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin on a whim at Target, and read the following in the first paragraph about giving up soda/pop:
“Now don’t go patting yourself on the back if you drink diet soda. That stuff is even worse. Aspartame (an ingredient commonly found in diet sodas and other sugar-free foods) has been blamed for a slew of scary maladies, like arthritis, birth defects, fibromyalgia, Alzheimer’s, lupus, multiple sclerosis and diabetes. When methyl alcohol, a component of aspartame, enters your body, it turns into formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is toxic and carcinogenic (cancer-causing). Laboratory scientist use formaldehyde as a disinfectant or preservative. They don’t fucking drink it. Perhaps you have a lumpy ass because you are preserving your fat cells with diet soda. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has received more complaints about aspartame than any other ingredient to date. Want more bad news? When aspartame is paired with carbs, it causes your brain to slow down its production of serotonin. A healthy level of serotonin is needed to be happy and well balanced. So drinking soda can make you fat, sick and unhappy.
–Page 13-14 in "Give It Up: Skinny Bitch"
This is officially the end of an era for me—no more Diet Vodkas. (Which are aptly named Skinny Bitches.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That book's the devil. I went vegetarian for three weeks last October. I'm sure if I re-read it once every few weeks, I'll be as skinny as a toothpick.

Dan 10Things said...

I gave up sugar about 4 years ago... recently I switched from using Equal to Stevia, a natural sweetener (from a plant you can actually grow in your yard, but I buy it at Trader Joe's). It's way stronger than sugar, you barely put any in, say a cup of coffee, and it seems to have no side effects at all. That's my tip 'o the day!

Jeanna said...

Dan,
That's great advice. Some other people have told me about that stuff recently, and I'm going to buy some from TJs. I need to seriously look at cutting Splenda out too...

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.