I have some exciting news - I was contacted a couple weeks ago by someone working for Nikon, who said they noticed I took pictures on my blog here and there and invited me to become part of the Nikon Coolpix Circle - a new program for bloggers. Now, I didn't know, exactly, what this meant, but I had a feeling it had something to do with a free camera, so of course I was like, "Um, yes. Sign me up immediately." Because really, all pseudo promo blogs posts aside, my first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix that lasted me FOREVER, and I have never liked another digi cam I've owned since then as much as the Coolpix. (That is the honest truth. Sony Cybershot = SUCK. I bought a Canon a couple months ago, and it's just okay. I should have splurged for a more expensive model).Anywhoo, long, convoluted background story aside, I received my information packet with the details of the Coolpix Circle program last week. It didn't offer up a free camera, per se. But I do get to become part of a cool network of other bloggers in the program, nominate bloggers who I think will benefit from the program, take pictures with my borrowed camera and post them to a Tumblr and Flickr group. The program just started, so there's not much up yet. But I'm assuming it's going to have some pretty neat stuff. I know that partially because I'm involved, and I'm AWE-some.
Speaking of AWE-some, back to the aforementioned borrowed camera detail. Here's the deets. I got to choose one of four Nikon Coolpix cameras. Nikon sends me the camera for three months, on loan. At the end of three months, I can purchase the camera at an "editorial discount," which I have no idea what this'll be. I can also choose to return the camera, or continue to borrow it for up to six months. At the end of the six months, whether I purchase or return the camera, all money or returned cameras will go to charity, so Nikon actually doesn't make profit from the program.
(What was that about long and convoluted?!)
How cool is that? Anyway, I chose the most fancy camera of the four - a Nikon Coolpix P90. The camera is a bit of a bridge between a compact, point-and-shoot digi cam and a D-SLR. (My ultimate goal. I just don't currently have the extra cash for it). I received the camera in the mail on Saturday, and Nikon was even nice enough to send me a 1GB memory card, so I was ready to start using the gem on my camping trip this weekend to the Olympic National Forest.
Being the huge geek that I am, I read the manual during our drive to the campground. Boy was that slightly tedious. But, I'm excited to switch from being a constant automatic-camera-setting-photographer to trying to learn a little bit more about shutter speed, aperture, composition, etc. Now, I'm by NO means an expert, so don't judge me. It's just meant to be something fun...
And of course, I'll continue to share my pics here with you and perhaps an update or two on what I think about the camera, for those of you who care about photography or might be in the market for a camera soon. Here are a few of my favorite shots I took this weekend while exploring high, high up in the woods and driving down the Washington coast:





You can find my complete set of photos from the trip at my new Flickr account, which is now linked up top in the newly added social media heart icons. (Don't you love 'em!) Cheers, lovelies!
Currently Feeling: So comfy on my couch, with a breeze (finally), while catching up on my DVR from the last week!
Currently Anticipating: Getting some stuff done this week since last week went in the shitter due to the 100+ degree weather.
Currently Reading: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. Um, GOOD. Yes, super, super good. I'm hooked!









4 comments:
I'm totally with you. I will only ever use a Nikon Cool Pix. It's easy to use and takes great pics. And that red flower pic - gorgeous!!
That is like, the coolest thing I have ever heard of. I am totes jealous of the borrowed camera thing.
That's so fantastic. I'm pretty damn jealous of you. Of course, I don't put many pictures out there, so that would explain why no one has contacted me, haha.
I can't wait to see your pics, etc.
I ADORE Nikon. I have a Nikon film camera, and I really want a digital. I'd like to purchase a D5000, but they're around $900, and I don't have that kind of money for a camera right now.
I actually have a photoblog, but I haven't updated it since March. http://meganhill.wordpress.com/
Love the canopy of trees!
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.