Monday, August 21, 2006

The Beginning of a Long Two Weeks

Today is day one for me on the South Beach Diet (SBD).

I know, I know. Fad diets are outlandish. Please refrain from ridiculing for via blog comments, or rolling your eyes while reading. I’m not overweight. Duh. But I do have a little sculpting I like to do. And honestly, if I don’t follow some sort of regular healthy eating plan, I find myself at Taco Bell or scarfing pizza for dinner one too many nights a week. Plus, it’s always a good idea to eat healthy and exercise.
So I’ve decided to join Jennifer Aniston and hopefully plan to, “totally change my body type.”

SBD is split into three phases. Phase one is two weeks long and the hardest. No sugar, carbs or alcohol. YIKES. That’s right folks. You’ve read it here first. Jeanna is on detox for two weeks. (Please don’t mention anything when you see my hands shaking, and try to look away when I drool into your beer.) Well, just shy of two weeks considering I’m going to be single and fabulous with tons of firefighters and hot men in Crescent Bar during Labor Day weekend and plan on getting faded. But, seriously, we all know that this is my real motivation for this diet—I have to be able to look good while wearing pasties on my nipples!

I’ve really absorbed this SBD diet thing. I bought a cookbook and read the manual and realized that really is just a healthy way to look at eating things that are bad for you such as refined sugar and flour, and it makes a lot of sense. The diet allows everything in moderation after Phase One…bread, past etc., as long as it’s wholegrain. AND you don’t have to starve yourself. No counting calories or eensy bitsy portions. Even better—it wasn’t created by someone looking to get rich fast. SBD was created by a cardiologist who needed a real way for his patients to lose weight and stay healthy, and he battles the ridiculousness of the Atkins Diet. It’s a shame that the diet has fallen into the same category as all the other crazy diet plans lately. ie: The Zone, Atkins, etc. I’m usually really opposed to such ridiculousness. So, I’m looking at this as an “eating overhaul” and “lifestyle change" rather than a "diet." Plus, I’ve been having fun cooking things out of the two books. Last night I made quiche cups in a muffin pan with liquid eggs, mushrooms, spinach, onion and peppers for breakfast this week. Other recipes I’m looking forward to enjoying: ricotta crème dessert, cauliflower “mashed potatoes” and gazpacho.

The only thing I’m nervous about the diet is that it battles belly fat first. I’m really sorry to see my beer belly go, I might have to hold a funeral for it. But, wish me luck anyway.

Currently Feeling: Ready for another snack!
Currently Anticipating: Belly dancing tonight with Sarah, Vanessa and Larisa!
Currently Nervous For: My meeting on Wednesday with the boss to discuss working permanently for WV.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I suggest something that has had me effortlessly lose 5 lb. in about a month "Delivered Organic Produce" I have comsumed more fruits & veggie (including ones I have never heard of) in one month than in my whole life. New Roots Organic is my new diet and it tastes pretty damn good:)

PS I m so jealous I have been trying to get people to belly dance with me for months!

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Jeanna. I tried the South Beach two years ago. I lasted three days before I was feasting on fondue and beer. If it works for you, though, let me know! Maybe I'll be able to maintain my (currently non-existent) willpower if I know someone else who's been successful with it.

Kelly said...

Thank god you are doing that...I was really worried that I would look fat..But, If you lose 10 Lbs on the SBD and I gain 20 in Vegas...It will be like...PERFECT!


I can't wait for Labor Day weekend!!!

Paolo said...

I'd believe in diets if they worked.

Jeanna said...

Who knows if the diet will work for me. But, let me show you the stats cause I feel like everyone I know is doing this lately:
Larisa: Lost 7lbs
Larisa's Mom: 15
Larisa's Sister: 15
Larisa's Dad: 20
Jordan: 15
Brynn: 17
Brynn's Mom: 60!

I'm just lookin for 10 or so....

Anonymous said...

Wow... those are some good stats. I can't believe you're detoxing during the summer, though. I think I'll try it in early October...

Vanessa said...

Jeanna-Just wanted to let you know I'm reading your blog right now :)
So what do you think of taking turns cooking dinner at my house after belly dancing every week? Of course it would have to be out of your SB cookbook. Mad props if you can go all 12 days without any of that really good shit like candy and beer. Let me know if you want me to text you 3 times a day about what great will power you have and how wonderfully this present torture will pay off in the end. Good luck tomorrow.

Jeanna said...

Believe me Cari, detoxing during the summer is the hardest thing I've done or set out to do. Especially since it includes attending soirees and remaining sober. Never something I've been big on. I wasn't lying when I said my pure motivation behind it was camping with hot men during Labor Day. Those four days of bathing suits with cute boys will really motivate you to do anything.

Jeanna said...

Vaness:
Thanks for reading my blog. You are a true dolphin sister. I'm all for cooking dinner at your house after belly dancing every week. The recipes in my SBD cookbook are so good that you won't even realize you're eating SBD food! I can't wait to shake it like a salt shaker with you next week.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
Blog template by Delicious Design Studio.
Header, footer and other design tweaks by Jeanna, Copyright 2009.