But the thing is about not having a job, is that you have to learn to cut corners; and buying books in threes and fours every month is rather expensive. So I looked into this BooksFree.com site, and I AMSOFREAKINGEXCITED. The concept is genius, if you ask me. I wish I would have thought of it... I only have to pay $10.99 a month to receive two in two out, just like Netflix. That's less than most paperbacks you'll buy at bookstores. And the selection is larger and more available (no long waiting lists for new books) than your local library. You can even borrow cookbooks! So in some ways, it can be a "try before you buy" thing, and you don't have to keep crappy books you don't like.
I signed up immediately, of course. The first two books I have coming to me are:
- Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World by Lisa Lillien
- I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
- The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
- Stolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail by Malika Oufkir
- Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood by Alexandra Fuller
- Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
- The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
- The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
- Unaccustomed Earth: Stories by Jhumpa Lahiri
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
- A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland Indiana by Haven Kimmel
- The Tender Bar: A Memoir by J. R. Moehringer
- Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Happy reading, lovers.
Currently Feeling: A little shocked and weirded out that it's already September. This summer went SOOOO fast!
Currently Anticipating: Labor Day weekend and my boyfriend all to myself!
Currently Needing: To finish my professional Web site - so damn time consuming.









2 comments:
I just finished Sarah's Key - read it in like 2 days. Great book, def recommend for your list!
XO - Bri
Ps - having trouble posting comments, options are weird...
Oh my God- that is an awesome idea!
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to read and put your two cents in! I like to read and respond to most of my comments, so click the "Subscribe By Email" button to be part of the conversation! OkThnxBai.